Leaving Job - Should I sign on?

Mrs Mac

I have just resigned from my job - been here 7 years and enough is enough - time for a break.

I'm lucky enough that I can afford not to work for a while and that I can take a break from work without having to get another job.

I intend looking for a new job in the new year so in effect I am only taking a break of 3/4 months.

I did not have any intention of signing on but someone mentioned that I should because I will lose my stamp otherwise.

Can anyone advise me on this please?

I think it is possible to sign just for stamp but not to receive any payment, could be wrong though.

I have just resigned from my job - been here 7 years and enough is enough - time for a break.

I'm lucky enough that I can afford not to work for a while and that I can take a break from work without having to get another job.

I intend looking for a new job in the new year so in effect I am only taking a break of 3/4 months.

I did not have any intention of signing on but someone mentioned that I should because I will lose my stamp otherwise.

Can anyone advise me on this please?

You will lose your stamps (called 'credits' in this case) if you don't sign-on. Whether or not you can sign-on for credits but without claiming benefits and so not need to be available for work seems to be a bit of a grey area. I met someone recently in a similar situation to yourself who was told categorically in a Dublin Welfare office that she couldn't get credits like that. She was to go back to meet a Supervisor but I haven't heard the outcome. You'd be advised to check this matter carefully with Welfare before making a decision. A Welfare official subscribes to AAM and may be able to clarify.

You have to be available for and Genuinely seeking employment for credits and Jobseekers payment.

As Tomred1 says, the same conditions apply whether you are getting payment or not when claiming Jobseeker's Benefit ...that you must be genuinely seeking adn available for work. Getting paid or not has nothing to do with it.

Back