Large (80-90K) money transfer between 2 Irish banks

newirishman

Anyone has recent experience with sending a large'ish amount of money from AIB to another Irish bank?
In a position to pay down the mortgage in full soon and wondering about the mechanics given limits of online banking platforms.

All I got from the other bank (PermanentTSB) is a BIC & IBAN.

Previously paid down large'ish sums (20-60K) when the mortgage was still with Ulsterbank, but there, you provided the BIC/IBAN of the source account and UlsterBank essentially did a direct debit, hence limits where not an issue.

The money will all be in on account in AIB.

I assume I will need to go to the branch?

Most banks have limits of what you can transfer online a day. You could just max out the limit every day until everything is transferred. Alternatively going in to a branch is probably the only option to do it all in one go.

I do larger amounts in branch - its quick enough but take photo ID such as passport with you.

Most banks have limits of what you can transfer online a day. You could just max out the limit every day until everything is transferred. Alternatively going in to a branch is probably the only option to do it all in one go.
Ha!

Local branch:
15 min wait to talk to a human, described what I wanted to do, bank clerk wrote down notes and went away.
10 min wait, bank clerk comes back to tell me I can do transfer online - no I can't it's over the daily limit, point to bank clerk's notes - figure written down incorrectly. Bank clerk goes away again and comes back with paper forms for me to complete.
10 mins later, still waiting and wanting my lunch, I gave up and messaged the relevant party that I would do max daily transfers until we had reached the amount needed.

I had a similarly ridiculous experience when doing a transfer of c. €15k (too large for doing online or via phone banking) in branch with PTSB - although at least they managed to do it in the end.

Edit: actually, I found a message summarising it that I had sent to a friend at the time...
I needed to send €13k to Standard Life as a pension top-up for last year. I didn't have any cheques and the online limit for external account transfers is €10k. So, I had to visit the PTSB branch in O'Connell Street to do a SWIFT wire transfer. My God .. the palaver! Queue up to talk to one of the assistants. Others wandering around doing nothing obvious but not able to assist when I asked. Eventually get to the top of the line. I explain. He gives me the SWIFT form and tells me to fill it out across the way. I fill it out. Now there's nobody to assist. The line forms again. I get to the top and my guy arrives back out of nowhere. He brings me to an office. He copies the form details to what seems like about 5 sets of paperwork. Several people come and go to sign various things. He goes and comes back several times. At some stage there's some problem and he has to get somebody else in to advise. I have to countersign some things. He enters the details into the computer. I think they even have to fax something. I didn't even know what faxes were used these days. Another guy comes in to type something into the computer and sign some stuff. Finally, he hands me a piece of paper and I ask "is that it?". "Yes". I don't think that my 50c fee is going to come anywhere near to covering the cost of this crazy process.

Moved 80k from Ulster to Bank of Ireland before Christmas. Had to go into the branch to do so but it was a doddle and only took a few mins. Sounds like it all depends on whether the person in the branch knows what they are doing or not.

Same as above, I've done it in the past in AIB in relation to transfer of funds to solicitor for mortgage drawdown and had no trouble.

I'd recommend printing in good big font the receiver's details (iban etc) helped instead of trying to talk through the glass

Thanks y’all. Will go to the branch so, and I’ll bring clear instructions (and ID)
Just to be clear, bring passport/driving licence, proof of PPSN (e.g. letter from Revenue/SW) and proof of address (e.g. utility bill) just in case.

I made a >100k in branch transfer from AIB to PTSB 3 years ago. Just needed passport and the IBAN of account to transfer to.

Thank God, I still keep a cheque book, just in case.
Thats fine in the 20th century. With Ulster bank, one could transfer up to 100k / day. No need for this carry on of visiting bank branches - what a complete waste of time.

I bought my house for cash using successive large transfers to my solicitor. No cheque book in my drawer since 1999!.

AIB & BOI will all reluctantly change as N26 & Revolut's Banking eats more of their cake. With the change of Revolut LT IBAN to IE IBANs and creit I'm off.. Viva la Revolution.

I had a similar situation - I transferred funds online to a different Irish bank using their IBAN/BIC details at my banks maximum daily transfer amount, spread across multiple separate days until the total amount was transferred.

Can you not get a bank draft these days? Think that's how I transferred money from BOI to KBC several years ago.

Can you not get a bank draft these days? Think that's how I transferred money from BOI to KBC several years ago.
Hopefully bank drafts have also gone the way of the dodo. As horrible as cheques. Also, they tend to cost money (arguably, not a lot but still...)
Also, PTSB does not accept bank drafts (or turning up with a briefcase of cash).

AIB & BOI will all reluctantly change as N26 & Revolut's Banking eats more of their cake. With the change of Revolut LT IBAN to IE IBANs and creit I'm off.. Viva la Revolution.
I actually hope they don't change & wither on the vine to be replaced by new contenders with none of the nonsense legacy. Start from the ground up.

Back