Landlord looking for mattress cleaning advice.

Jeez - I have the creeps now, just thinking of all the dodgy places I rented over 15 years in Dublin. I'm NEVER gonna rent again!

If you have ever stayed in a Hotel I can guarantee you the mattress in most of they could tell you a few stories...Horror stories!!

The first thing I do on checking in is removing the bedspread and put it to one side,I remember seeing a programme where they ran a UV light over one of them,it was covered in ahem bodily fluids not discernible to the eye...

I would not be replacing mattresses after each tenancy.

If you have ever stayed in a Hotel I can guarantee you the mattress in most of they could tell you a few stories...Horror stories!!

Oh, I know. I have seen a few dodgy things in hotels I have stayed in too, and not all cheap hotels either.

Still though, at least in a hotel its only for a night or two, and you know to have a good wash the next morning!

As for the bed-spread in hotels - I always move it to the corner, far, far away from the bed!

I would not be replacing mattresses after each tenancy.

No, but I wouldnt be starting life as a landlord, renting out my own house, with a 5 year old urine stained mattress.

If someone cant even get the basics in place starting out as a landlord, what are they going to be like later on when they need to replace things, maintain the property?

Im finding it difficult to believe that this thread isnt a troll tbh.

No, but I wouldnt be starting life as a landlord, renting out my own house, with a 5 year old urine stained mattress.

If someone cant even get the basics in place starting out as a landlord, what are they going to be like later on when they need to replace things, maintain the property?

Point well made.

Im finding it difficult to believe that this thread isnt a troll tbh.

This being Ireland; what do you expect...

One rental we realised pretty soon that the toilet was not attached to the floor.. flood thus... ll brought in a plumber who said the floor was too wet for him to fix it and we never saw him again.. hovered the rest of the time there..

If a landlord supplies a mattress in perfect condition without stains, then it should be returned in good condition with no stains. Sweat and **** in a bed are not normal wear and tear. They are avoidable.
If there is no mattress protector on the mattress buy one yourself and put it on. If not, dont sweat.

Are waterproof matress protectors easy to buy ,, have never seen them

They are available in Dunnes Stores at least. I bought them when the kids were toilet training, have them on all the beds in the house now. They are probably available elsewhere, but I didn't look once I found what I needed.

ETA, I think we had one when renting too.

Are waterproof matress protectors easy to buy ,, have never seen them
Yes, available in Dunnes.

They're a little bit 'noisy' so it's best to put a quilted matress protector on top then you can't hear the waterproof one rustling as you move.

Back