KPMG: Doubt over PTSBs ability to continue as a going concern

E

EsterCaloPoE

I am quite worried about the Irish Times piece that says KPMG said that the IL&P accounts “may cast doubt upon the group’s ability to continue as a going concern”. :(

I have all my savings in PTSB as I thought that they were the safest Irish Bank ??? :confused: Are KPMG correct? Could Permo shut down? I am taking my money out of Permo on Monday and moving it to KBC.

The article is [broken link removed].

Accountants KPMG inserted “an emphasis of matter” clause in its auditor’s report.

Such a clause is included where there is “significant uncertainty” around certain issues that merit a particular mention in the report.

The inclusion of this type of clause is unusual in the accounts of a financial institution.

KPMG said the annual report set out “a number of material economic, political and market risks and uncertainties that impact the Irish banking system”.

The auditors said that this “may cast doubt upon the group’s ability to continue as a going concern”.

These included the group’s “continuing ability” to access funding from the European and Irish central banks to meet liquidity requirements and its ability to raise additional capital to meet the required regulatory capital ratios.

“These matters, together with the options available to the group, have been considered by the directors in concluding that it is appropriate to prepare the financial statements on a going concern basis,” said the accountancy firm.

It has been reported, in the Sunday Business Post, that some banks will wind down or be merged after the stress tests. PTSB may be one of those.

I have all my savings in PTSB as I thought that they were the safest Irish Bank ???

PTSB have significant difficulties:
A 200%+ loans to deposits ratio that needs to be reduced to 122%.
A huge loss making tracker mortgage base.
Questionable mortgage bad debt provisions.
Growing mortgage arrears.
Billions of emergency liquidity from the ECB and CBI.
Heavily loss making.

PTSB need to be shut down or merged into a new banking entity. The stress tests may shed further light on the situation at PTSB/IL&P.

What would happen mortgages with PTSB if they were to shut down or merge? Would people lose their trackers and be forced on to variable mortgages?

What would happen mortgages with PTSB if they were to shut down or merge? Would people lose their trackers and be forced on to variable mortgages?

No, your conditions would have to be honoured by whoever purchases the PTSB stressed mortgage pool.

Do you think there will be any impact on the Irish Life Section.
I have some investment in the Scope fund and I am a little conserned.

While PTSB have problems, they have the least problems of all the Irish financial institutions.

They have no lending to property developers.
They have needed no money from NAMA.
They have had no money input from the State.

Their sister company Irish Life is still profit making.

I am not saying that there is no risk, but there is less risk than all the other Irish ownded institutions.

brendan

Why is there a need for you to do this when there is a government guarantee?

Yep. it seems to me to be tweedle dum or tweedle dee. KBC is covered by the Irish Deposit Protection Scheme. The foreign based banks have to play by the Irish rules. Some diversification is sensible. But, with all the hoppin' & trottin' with deposits, it's probably only a matter of time before someone suggests putting your dosh in a robust Argentinian bank.

THE GOVERNMENT may be forced to take a large stake in Irish Life & Permanent (IL&P), the only lender to have so far avoided taking State capital, as a result of the severity of this week’s bank stress tests.

The move would give the Government part or majority ownership of a sixth and last privately owned Irish bank, and may lead to the effective nationalisation of the domestic banking sector.

The intense scrutiny of residential and buy-to-let mortgages in the latest round of Central Bank stress tests is likely to force IL&P, the biggest mortgage lender during the property boom, to cede significant ownership to the State.

IL&P’s profitable investment and pensions business and the decision of Permanent TSB to avoid lending to developers meant it has not had to resort to Government cash since the banking crisis began in 2008.

However, IL&P borrowed more heavily than any other Irish lender to fuel mortgage lending.

As a result, IL&P faces the greatest challenge under the Central Bank’s new liquidity stress test this week, to bring its €38 billion loan book closer in line with deposits of about €19 billion.

Expected losses arising from the capital stress test and from the planned disposal of excess loans under the liquidity stress test are expected to make some form of Government ownership inevitable.

IL&P’s market value of €205 million makes the company’s ability to raise cash to cover the losses almost impossible, forcing it to seek Government capital. “It’s a question of whether the Government will take over or under 50 per cent [majority control],” said a source familiar with the company’s situation.

A spokesman for the company had no comment, while a spokeswoman for the Central Bank would not comment ahead of the stress test results on Thursday. IL&P is scheduled to hold a meeting of its board today.
[broken link removed]

Guys, what do you make of this. I've been considering opening a Ulster bank account now seeing as I still have savings in AIB and PTSB.

My other half of savings are in US shares and Nationwide UK (Ireland).

I've already given notice for my 35 day notice account with PTSB as the interest rate reduced to 2.5% last year. Should I move these to a safer financial institution? I will be phasing out savings on AIB soon into and easy access account with Nationwide UK

Not sure about AIB but if I compare the quality of service of PTSB with UB, then PTSB would win by a long distance... Expecially with their open 24 service...

Even if I still have a c/a with UB I keep PTSB and transfer to Rabo as soon as my salary gets in...

Talking about savings I've already moved away from every irish bank sorry and I love my Rabo, NIB esaver and Nationwide UK-Ireland deposits... :(

RTE: Irish State Likely to Take Full Control of IL&P

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0329/irishlife.html

The State is now likely to take majority ownership and full control of Irish Life & Permanent following the stress tests of banks.
It is understood that the amount of capital required for the group's bank PermanentTSB is likely to be in the region of €600m to €1bn.
This afternoon, shares in Irish Life and Permanent are down 46%.
Earlier today, the company was valued at €200m so the scale of capital injection which would be required by the State is likely to force the organisation into State control.

I've already given notice for my 35 day notice account with PTSB as the interest rate reduced to 2.5% last year. Should I move these to a safer financial institution?

Why not move it to NUK, get a higher return and the UK guarantee.

Today I asked my employer to credit my salary on the rabo account, not anymore on PTSB... :(

I'm so much hoping that the EU could finally give a strong answer to Moody's and Co. that would make them shut up once for all... :(

Thinking that they were the ones rating "Lehmann Brothers" as supersecure before the bad day in 2008!!! :( It's so unfair...

Will they let you do this? Normally salaries have to paid into a current account.

No requirement that the account be a current a/c Ciaran,my wife works for a semi state and her salary is paid into an UB Dual a/c.

I confirm. Up to 2008 my salary used to be paid on my previous rabo account before I went to Australia for a while and that was when I reswitched to PTSB.

PTSB future is still far from clear - are BOI getting it or AIB? Is it being sold like EBS - well at one time it was up for sale? Still so many questions after today's event's.

Back