Key Post: Money Saving Tips/Advice.

before you hire check the price of buying

Be careful of hiring tools in hire shops as sometimes these tool can be bought for as little as twice the hire rate for a week - so if there is a chance you may need a toll for longer than a week see how much it is to buy

Re: before you hire check the price of buying

When you open a new tub of "I can't believe this replaced butter", polish the lid on the first slice of bread - once those little gobs of spread are on the lid for a while, they dry out and become less palatable.

Put water in tomato or brown sauce bottles when nearly empty to get the most out of them - just pour carefully thereafter so you don't blow the savings on your laundry bills! :lol

Ahhhh - (pre Tiger) childhood memories! ;)

Not to mention memories of Viz's "Top Tips"!

Put water in...bottles when nearly empty to get the most out of them

ditto...
washing up liquid
shampoo
bathroom detergents

yeeuuch

Tommy - Do you really put washing-up liquid into your tomato ketchup bottles as they run low? It much taste really horrible??? :rollin

Re: yeeuuch

Since we've gone from the sublime to the ridiculous, there was a joke email sent around a couple of months ago with money saving tips, one of which was:

* Cut Toilet Paper costs, use the facilities at work.

Other slightly odd ideas include, Once a week *at meal times* visit a relative you haven't seen for a while
(Don't forget to use their facilities). To defend against return visits never answer the door until after meal times.

I don't know where I saw the following (possibly Motley Fool)
If you must have a credit Card, put it in a zip lock bag. Place in a tray of water. Place in freezer until frozen. You can get at it if you ever really need to, but the hassle will usually be enough of a deterent.

* Try to convince all your friends to stop using Store Points cards. widespread take up of these cards, tend to lead to price increases of 10-15% (That is after all why the stores promote the damn things).

* Do you really need a Land Line and a mobile? with eircom line rentals continuing to climb, you might want to think again.

* Do you really need that many free minutes on your mobile each month? Check you are not on too high a tarrif. If you use the mobile at all regularly Do not use prepaid phones. Switch to billing.

Have we had enough suggestions now?

-Rd

Re: Save 1% on your car tax bill

Pay your car tax with Amex Blue by post and you get 1% back.

also if relatives call unannounced for free meals once a week ,serve them stale stuff that would normally go in the bin,works a treat

Now if I could only convince myself to do any of the suggestions in this thread, I might be better off, but I probably won't.

-Rd

Here's one specifically for you so - - you'll save on the electricity, phone and heating bills! :lol Goodnight!

annual council charge

ClubMan said:
"some local authorities charge certain locally determined service charges such as for refuse collection, water etc."

So, if you are disposing of household waste in a proper and acceptable way and getting your household water supply from a private well, then there is no yearly council tax/rates or other compulsary council tax/charge as there is in the uk; is this correct?

Re: annual council charge

It depends on the council - some don't have any "opt-out" clause for refuse/water charges and they are charged across the board (with the exception of waivers for senior citizens, unemployed, low earners etc.) whether or not you avail of the services. For example, as far as I know, in the Dublin City Council region of authority refuse charges are mandatory (other than waivers) whether or not you leave our your refuse for collection or bring it to a dump (and most likely incur further charges at the tip head) yourself.

Re: annual council charge

in the Dublin City Council region of authority refuse charges are mandatory

So why is it that so many politicians tell local residents not to pay them ? Surely there must be some manner to prosecute those extremist politicians who promote such tax evasion ?

NoelC, who are these tds you mention? What parties do they belong to?

Re: ...

I believe Joe Higgins advocates this. I hope I'm not committing liable here, Mr Higgins if your listening, and you think your constituents should pay, drop us a line and I'll humbly apologise.

(I'll even make a donation to the Party)

I know some TD's claim to be against the charges which is of course completely different to suggesting that people shouldn't pay them.

-Rd

BTW - I actually like Joe Higgins. I agree with almost none of his policies some of them are downright mad, but at least he wears his heart on his sleeve. We need a few more like that.
(Not too many more, justa few) ;)

re: original thread - saving money

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get back to the original thread of this message for a moment, rather than get caught up in political mumbo jumbo!

Does anyone know any good websites which has economical recipes on it? Sort of a 'cheap and cheerful cooking' type thing?
Or alternatively, does anyone have any one pot wonder recipes? I'm not great on the old washing up....!!!

Thanks in advance

Saving Money on Phone Bill

Can anyone advise on how to avoid landline cost? Our phone bill is mostly rental and VAT as we are out at work all day and seldom use the phone to make outgoing calls. The only reason I have not dumped the landline is that we use the home PC for some(very little) internet and email. Most email and internet is done from work(sorry boss). So, apart from the internet, we do not need a landline.

Any advice?
Slim

Re: re: original thread - saving money

Hi Cheaply,

I think that popular politicians encouraging tax evasion is more than just "mumbo jumbo" - it's a crime, but we'll probably have to agree to differ on that.

Here are some cheap recipes and some more

You could try asking this question on a website like Ask Jeeves for more suggestions

re: NoelC

Hi Noel,

I don't agree with what the politicians are doing either, what I meant was that it sort of put the thread off on another tangent...and I really need to stick to the money saving tips!!!

Thanks for the websites, hope they can save me a few bob on groceries!

Re: Money Saving Tips/Advice.

frugalliving.about.com

gives tips on everything, including cheapo recipes. Some of it would put Scrooge to shame, but most of it is sensible enough.

Back