Key Post: Affordable Housing Scheme & Shared Ownership

B

brianfm

thanks to everybody who contributes to this great site. I have a few questions regarding the affordable housing scheme.

I intend on buying a house in dublin in about a year or so and am interested in the affordable housing scheme. First of all, is the 50-50 shared ownership scheme and the affordable housing scheme the same thing?

According to the citizens info website you can buy the corpo portion out at any time at the original price increased in line with inflation. If this original price is discounted (up to 30% i have heard) does that mean that if you buy out the corpo after a few years you would then own the property outright having a paid a seriously discounted rate?
Do all developments have to contain 20% for the affordable housing scheme? what if the developments are in a plush area and even the discounted rate is over say, $200,000, who can afford a loan for this if your income has to be below e32000 to be eligible for the scheme. What choice do you have in which development you can apply a house in the scheme? Are there limits on price of a property to be included in the scheme?

ah, so many questions! but any help is appreciated,

thanks in advance,

brian.

affordable housing scheme

I'm don't think that the is the same as the . In any case, perhaps these links might be of interest to you?

Re: affordable housing scheme

Hi Brian - I'm afraid I can't answer most of your questions.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Do all developments have to contain 20% for the affordable housing scheme?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

As far as I know, the developer has an option to 'buy' out of the 20% requirement by making a cash payment to the local authority which they (I assume) put into their housing fund. I guess this is more likely to happen in higher-priced developments.

20% "rule"

"Do all developments have to contain 20% for the affordable housing scheme?"
The planners can require the developer to provide up to 20%, but they may decide to stipulate less. Anecdotal evidence so far is that they are basing it on need in the area, as per their own housing data, with some areas getting a 10% stipulation and some areas having no such housing stipulated. It follows that as relatively few people in wealthy areas are looking for housing from the council, those areas are likely to have smaller social housing requirements. And, as rainyday says, there is the option of instead compelling the developer to pay a contribution toward provision of social housing elsewhere (this is, at least on paper, the council's option- not the developer's- but one can speculate that a certain amount of haggling goes on at pre-planning stage).

Affordable Housing v Shared Ownership

Hi Brian,

I have a few friends on both the shared ownership and affordable housing schemes so I think I might be able to answer a few of your questions.

Firstly affordable housing and shared ownership are two totally different schemes, however to qualify for the affordable scheme you must first meet the eligibility criteria for shared ownership. Don’t ask me why, that is just the way councils are doing it.

The affordable scheme aims to offer applicants a house at cost price, i.e. by cutting out the developers profit you get the house at a significant discount to the market price - usually 30%-40% as that’s the sort of margins developers make. For example a recent scheme in Blanchardstown saw 3 bed houses that were selling for €185K being offered under the affordable scheme for €123K. The council gets these houses either by building the houses themselves or obtaining houses under the 20% for social/affordable housing provision that developers must set aside in new schemes. As you can’t be earning more than €32k the houses offered on the scheme will rarely be for more than €127K (£100K). Therefore developers with expensive schemes very often hand over money to the council, provide a park or local amenity, provide lower cost housing on the site or hand over a greater percentage of another development they are working on in the county. Most developers have been holding out handing over the 20% to local county councils in the hopes that the Act would be repelled. As this has not happened all new planning application are making full provision for social/affordable housing in 2 of Dublin’s county districts. Of course developers would mush prefer to have affordable housing rather then social housing on their site so they are agreeing to put more affordable houses on site if the council lets them away with the social housing provision.

To be eligible for an affordable scheme you need to be earning less than €32k in the previous tax year. You need a P60 to prove that you meet this requirement. This is important as your P60 will only show taxable income. So if you are earning over €32K, it is possible you could put money into a pension via AVC’s and still look as if you where earning under €32K. As the income qualification is retrospective you would need to be doing this now to qualify for the scheme next year. There are also lots of forms to fill out and then you’ll be interviewed. Once you are approved you will be put on a county list. If you had lived in a certain part of the county for 5 years you are also put on a local list. So for example if you applied to Fingal County Council you would be put on their general list which is about 300+ at present. Fingal further divides the county up into 4 local areas. So if you had lived in Malahide you would be on the local list for Malahide/Howth area as well as the general county list. The local list is of course a lot shorter than the general list. The idea of the local list is that when affordable houses are built in an area, locals are given the vast majority of the allocation. Its therefore more likely that you would get an affordable house on a local list than a general list. As a result its probably best if you apply to your local county council, although you can apply to any county council in the country to access their general list. At the moment the only county councils in Dublin with an affordable list are Fingal and Dublin City councils. The South Dublin councilors obviously feel people don’t need affordable houses on the southside!

The Shared Ownership scheme works in a very different way. You do not get a discounted house. Rather you are approved up to €190K to buy a house. You get a mortgage from the council for a portion of the house and rent the remainder from the council. The advantage of this scheme is that you can go and find a house yourself and don’t have to wait around on a list to be offered a house. The disadvantage is that you pay full market price for the house. In addition if you want to buy the portion of the house you are renting at some later stage, you will pay market price, not the original price + inflation. I believe all Dublin’s county councils have shared ownership schemes up and running.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

One other thing,

MOB, I think you are mistaken about smaller allocations in wealthier areas. The aim of social/affordable hosuing is to enhance social integration, for this reason wealthier areas are in theory supposed to receive higher allocations than less well off areas. Of course local residents associations in wealthier areas often pressure councilors into reducing or eliminating social provision in new schemes.

Re: Affordable Housing v Shared Ownership

Thanks for all your answers. I contacted Fingal County Council to enquire further and for anybody thats interested here are some more interesting points to note.

The price of a house must not exceed e114,000 to qualify for the affordable housing scheme. This is regardless of the cash deposit. The mortgage can come from the county council or from a private lending institution.
A newly built house must come from one of two types of developments to be eligible for the scheme. These are:

- a development that the county council/local authority is
building. A list of these is available from the
council/authority
- a private property development that is part of the
affordable housing scheme. The developments participating
is kept secret as it is "commercialy sensitive". They are
only revealed to individuals that are on the affordable
housing list and the house in question is being offered to
that individual.

In both cases you sell your house at any time however the council/authority will apply a 'clawback'. If you sell within 10 years then you pay the council/authority the future market value of the house less the amount you paid for it. If you sell after 10 years, 10% is deducted from the above clawback for each year past the 10 year mark.

Hope the above is useful to anybody considering the affordable housing scheme,

brian.

Correction to last post regarding selling on of House

Last post gives the impression that no benefit from capital appreciation is enjoyed in the first 10 years.

Can I re-sell my “affordable house”?
If a house purchased under this scheme is resold within 10 years, the percentage of the sale price discounted by the local authority would be payable to the local authority by the purchaser on the proceeds of the re-sale of the house. The amount payable shall be reduced by 10% in respect of each complete year after the 10th year during which the person who purchased the property has been in occupation as his or her normal place of residence.

See http://www.environ.ie/housing/affordhs.doc (www.environ.ie/housing/affordhs.doc) for more info.

This topic is worth highlighting

I think this topic could interest a lot of potential home-buyers so I'm making it a Sticky Topic.

Correction

as geoffreyOD pointed out, the below statement from my above post in incorrect:

"if you sell within 10 years then you pay the council/authority the future market value of the house less the amount you paid for it".

Instead the formula detailed in geoffrey's above post is used to calculate how much you owe to the local authority. Therefor the seller will benefit if the value of the house appreciates.

Re: Correction

bearish you mentioned that some of your friends have utilised these schemes - which is the better option and what are the main drawbacks?

Which is best

Its really a matter of choice as to which you feel is better.

Affordable Scheme

Pros

you get a house at a significant discount to the market value, therefore your mortgage is lower and you have a large % of equity in your home (assuming you are holding it for 20 years) to cushion you from any future price falls.

due to the discount you can probably obtain a larger house than you could afford on the private market.

Cons

You may have to wait a while before been offered an affordable house.

You dont have the same freedom to choose which area to live in as you do privately, however there is more chance that you will be offered something locally, also you can turn down offers in areas you don't like without losing your place on any list.

You can't sell the property and make a quick profit.

Shared Ownership

Pros

You have the same freedom and choice (up to €190k) as if you were buying privately.

As you can rent a large % of the property from the council you can probably purchase a higher value property than you could with Bank backing.

Cons

You dont fully own your home and at sometime in the future you will have to buy the remainderfrom the council. If prices continue to rise buying the councils portion gets more expensive.

Summary
I suppose Shared Ownership is best if you want more freedom and Affordable if you are more concerned about price.

One other thing. Once you are approved for a scheme it is only for one year. You are then reassessed. If your income has risen above the €32k mark in the meantime you will no longer be eligible for either scheme. One of my friends got caught on this recently. Apparently a lot of people do. Given this if you feel your income might go up beyond €32k within a year you are best to stick to Shared Ownership as you could be waiting longer than a year on an Affordable list.

Re: Which is best

My dilemma is that I have looked into both and can see the advantages and disadvantages of both but recently I found out that there are some affordable houses in my area which are really nice - Is it possible to apply for both schemes?

Applying to Both Schemes

Ignore the previous post, it just seemed to slip in before I edited it.

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> Post in question deleted by ClubMan<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

I am not too sure about applying for both schemes. I think it depends on which county council area you live in. While you do have to meet the eligibility criteria for both schemes it doesn’t necessarily mean you are entitled to be on both schemes.

As for seeing some affordable houses you like, its not very likely you would get offered one of these houses unless you are already on an affordable list as there will a number of people ahead of you at present on that particular local list. However if you are referring to some of the larger schemes in Blanchardstown you might be in luck as there appears to be more houses than people currently waiting on the local list. Maybe you could clarify which area you are referring to.

Re: selling restriction on affordable housing

bearish, in your above post you stated:

what are your reasons for stating this. the previous posts for this topic suggest that if you sell within 10 years you pay a proportion of the profit of the sale back to the council, but the rest of the profit is yours. Superceding this rule, must you wait a specified amount of time before you can sell or can you sell immediatly?

Making a quick buck

The affordable scheme is designed to provide people, who can't afford to purchase a house on the private market, with a mechanism whereby they can become home owners. The local authorities realised that there would be a few people who would attempt to take advantage of the system by buying an affordable house at a discount and then reselling it shortly afterwards, thereby pocketing the discount to the market price of the home (typically 30%-40%).

To stop people turning the scheme into a windfall profit making enterprise they introduced the 10 year clawback mechanism described above. Now as none of my friends have actually sold their affordable homes Im not exactly sure how the clawback works. So I’m open to correction on this but how I understand it is as follows:

Say you purchase an affordable house for €100k, whose market value is €150k. i.e you receive a 33% discount. Now in 3-4 years time you want to sell the same property whose market value has now increased to €160k.You sell the property for €160k, but have to give the council back 33% of the value of the properties market price under the 10 year rule i.e. approx €53k, leaving you with €7k increase on your initial €100k. A 7% return is a lot smaller than the 60% you would have got if the council didn’t have the clawback mechanism. This is what I meant when I said you can’t sell the property and make a quick profit, you are always going to have to discount any rise in the property value by the initial discount.

As far as I know there are no restrictions on selling the property anytime you want, however the property’s value would wan to rise significantly before you made any profit in the short-term once the clawback and transaction costs are taking into account. If you wanted to speculate on property, you would do much better in the private market.

To get back to you Bearish, I am actually living in Cork and the houses I mentioned are in the suburbs...I have spoken to someone involved in the scheme who reckons they have advertised the houses because they do not have enough people on the waiting list and because they are located about 9 miles outside the city they dont think the response will be as high as previously! I did look through an explanatory memorandum last night about the scheme and you are right about the clawback part, they can claim money back from the sale for up to 20 years, its decreases by 10% every year after 10 ie. if you sell after 12 years you pay the mark up less 20%.

To be honest my major problem with buying privately is the deposit, I would find it very difficult to fund this due to travelling over the last few years etc, this is where the major advantage lies for me in these schemes.

With regards applying for both, to clarify I meant could I apply for the affordable housing and if am placed on waiting list rather than being successful could I then apply for the shared ownership?

As a matter of interest you mentioned that some friends of yours have used the shared scheme, whats their outlook on paying the council back, do they have a plan in place or just hoping for a windfall?
thanks again

Re: Location

As for applying to the affordable scheme and then for the shared ownership, its best you check with your local county council as the rules differ slightly from county to county.

The 2 friends who went the shared ownership route were so happy just to get a house, I dont think they have even gotten around to thinking up strategy to purchase the council's portion.

Affordable housing

I would just like to say that i have my house through affordable housing and i love my house and think its a great opportunity for one income families to have the chance to own their own home with this scheme. As well as for people like myself that have no children yet but still got the chance to buy on my own whereas through an ordinary bank it would have been no way to a mortgage for me.
However think long and hard about where it is they offer you. The clawback makes things very hard for people to try and get out of the scheme it takes the guts of 6/8 mths to try and get mortgage approval from other financial instituition then it takes few more mths to get the Title Deeds from Fingal so make sure you are not in a rush to get out quickly. You lose quite a lot of money back to the council and so sometimes you feel like your stuck with them.
My advice is that if you can be approved for the 50/50 go for that one at least you have certain amount of time to buy out the council and not lose so much of the equity. :$

????

Hi Im on the list for the scheme and was hoping you could clarify some things you said

What does the area chosen have to do with mortgage approval?

I take it you are taking about Shared Ownership when you take about 50/50. Can you elaborate on the process.

My advice is that if you can be approved for the 50/50 go for that one at least you have certain amount of time to buy out the council and not lose so much of the equity.

Back