KBC goodwill cheque cashing conundrum

ricta

My son and daughter-in-law received cheques from KBC. The problem is they have moved to Switzerland and no longer have any bank accounts in Ireland. The cheques are marked "account payee only".
Revolut do not accept cheques and UBS, their bank in Switzerland, will charge 65CHF to lodge each cheque because they are issued by a non-Swiss bank.
I cannot see any way for the cheques to be cashed.
Any ideas anyone?

They could call the KBC helpline and ask for assistance. Maybe KBC could reissue the cheques in your name, or pay the money by electronic transfer.

I received one of these cheques. Since they are "good will" payments to former deposit account holders rather than money actually owed, I'd be surprised if KBC agreed to a different method of payment. If it's any consolation, KBC says that If the cheques aren't cashed within six months, they'll donate the money to charity.

I received one of these cheques. Since they are "good will" payments to former deposit account holders rather than money actually owed, I'd be surprised if KBC agreed to a different method of payment. If it's any consolation, KBC says that If the cheques aren't cashed within six months, they'll donate the money to charity.
Yeah, there is that consolation

If the surnames on the cheques are the same as yours, and assuming you have an account with one of the Irish bricks and mortar banks you could try lodging these to your account, using one of the lodgement capable ATMs. I've done this with trivial cheques issued to my mother on a number of occasions and never encountered any issues, and then used EFT to transfer the money to her.

If the surnames on the cheques are the same as yours, and assuming you have an account with one of the Irish bricks and mortar banks you could try lodging these to your account, using one of the lodgement capable ATMs. I've done this with trivial cheques issued to my mother on a number of occasions and never encountered any issues, and then used EFT to transfer the money to her.
My son's is, if all else fails I'll give it a try

If the recipient writes instructions on the back of the cheque, it can be lodged to someone else’s account. They write on the back ‘pay account of ricta’ and sign it. Then you can lodge it to your account and transfer it whatever way you like.
I did this recently for my sister who lives overseas, for a much larger cheque. (We have different surnames!) Then I did a bank transfer to her. But if it’d been for a smaller amount such as €75, I’d have used Revolut.

If the recipient writes instructions on the back of the cheque, it can be lodged to someone else’s account. They write on the back ‘pay account of ricta’ and sign it. Then you can lodge it to your account and transfer it whatever way you like.
I did this recently for my sister who lives overseas, for a much larger cheque. (We have different surnames!) Then I did a bank transfer to her. But if it’d been for a smaller amount such as €75, I’d have used Revolut.
Was the cheque ‘crossed’ / did it have ‘a/c payee only written on it?

Not sure that would work when "account payee only" is on the cheque, but nothing to lose trying it, AFAIK Revolut do not take cheques.

Back