Katie Taylor

Our greatest sportsperson ever. Well done Katie from a long-time fan and supporter.

With respect I do not think you can compare Arkle to Katie or Kellie or any other sports person.

I think Rachel Blackmore might have something to say about that!
An interesting comparison. What Rachel has achieved is in historic terms monumental. But you could argue that she was a tad lucky with the horses that came her way and of course it always takes a huge dollop of luck to win the Grand National. On the other hand Katie was a tad lucky with her win the other night.
I think both will go down in history at least on these islands more than any other Irish sports person - one for historic firsts (Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle and Grand National as a lady ) the other for putting ladies' boxing on the map.

Because it's essentially impossible to do, it's always great fun to debate the merits of sportspeople across different sports and different eras. Katie Taylor and Rachel Blackmore are both historic and super high achievers. Rachel wouldn't get to ride those horses if she wasn't!
From a different era, Pat O'Callaghan was probably our greatest ever Olympian. Notwithstanding that Michelle Smith has more gold medals and dominated her sport until, ahem, other issues intervened.
And how do you rate team sport players? George Best, Johnny Giles, Liam Brady, Roy Keane were all world class. In rugby the world pool is shallower but we've had more than our fair share of top performers there too. Kyle, Gibson, McBride, O'Driscoll, Sexton to name a few.
Then there's the various golfers, rowers, show jumpers and cyclists who have done us proud. Kelly and Roche were probably the best internationally known Irish sports stars of their era.
And then there's the GAA. Christy Ring, Jack Lynch, Jimmy Doyle or Henry Shefflin? Mick O'Connell, Brian Fenton, Sean O'Neill or Colm Cooper?

If I had to pick one, I'd go for Pat O'Callaghan. A great all-rounder and a two time Olympic gold medalist. (Even though he's from Cork - nobody's perfect!)

An interesting comparison. What Rachel has achieved is in historic terms monumental. But you could argue that she was a tad lucky with the horses that came her way and of course it always takes a huge dollop of luck to win the Grand National. On the other hand Katie was a tad lucky with her win the other night.
I think both will go down in history at least on these islands more than any other Irish sports person - one for historic firsts (Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle and Grand National as a lady ) the other for putting ladies' boxing on the map.
But sure the horse is doing all the work...

The thing about Kate is that she is our best ever boxer. Not our best ever woman boxer, our best ever.

Rachel Blackmore is a phenomenal jockey but she wouldn't be in the top 5 Irish Jockeys. She's well behind Paul Townend on earnings this year and AP McCoy and Ruby Walsh are still way ahead of her.

Now I don't want to rain on the parade but there are 17 divisions of women's boxing of which Katie's is bang in the middle. There are 51 women who can currently claim to be world boxing champion.
By contrast Rachel's achievement of winning a Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle and Grand National in the same 12 months might never be equalled by man or woman. And that reminds me that Rachel competes on level terms with men, whilst there are another 17 men's divisions in boxing.
Admittedly, Rachel's achievement is confined to the sporting culture of these islands whereas Katie's is more broadly based.

Now I don't want to rain on the parade but there are 17 divisions of women's boxing of which Katie's is bang in the middle. There are 51 women who can currently claim to be world boxing champion.
By contrast Rachel's achievement of winning a Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle and Grand National in the same 12 months might never be equalled by man or woman. And that reminds me that Rachel competes on level terms with men, whilst there are another 17 men's divisions in boxing.
Admittedly, Rachel's achievement is confined to the sporting culture of these islands whereas Katie's is more broadly based.
But, and I'm serious here, the horse is doing most of the work. There's no comparison between the two.

But, and I'm serious here, the horse is doing most of the work. There's no comparison between the two.
Well yeah. Katie expended more physical effort but we might debate the skill aspect. Katie outwitted Serrano, Rachel outwitted 39 males to win the GN.
From an historic perspective it seems the main thing that Katie will be remembered for is the first women’s headline fight at MSG which she shares with Serrano. Rachel’s achievement will have more historic durability.
I presume Katie is a shoo-in for RTE SPOTY this year. If she had achieved this last year it is interesting to ponder who would have been RTÉ SPOTY 2021.

Last edited:
I would say that Katie will be remembered for not just this historic fight in Madison. What about her Olympic Gold . And the amount of time she was No 1 in the amateur ranks. Also the fact that she has had 21 , mostly tough fights, and is unbeaten. She has sought out the best of opponents and come out on top time after time.
Well yeah. Katie expended more physical effort but we might debate the skill aspect. From an historic perspective it seems the main thing that Katie will be remembered for is the first women’s headline fight at MSG which she shares with Serrano. Rachel’s achievement will have more historic durability.
I presume Katie is a shoo-in for RTE SPOTY this year. If she had achieved this last year it is interesting to ponder who would have been RTÉ SPOTY 2021.

Maybe it's me and I'm old fashioned but the sight of 2 women battering the living daylights out of each other does nothing for me. I'm not a fan of boxing or MMA at all and whilst I respect the effort, talent, skill and all the good things boxing can bring, at the end of the day, I just don't like it. The pool in which KT competes is small as well, (but growing and the standard is getting higher).

And then there is the simple fact that both professional and amateur boxing is possibly the most corrupt sport in the world over the last 10 years.

Maybe it's me and I'm old fashioned but the sight of 2 women battering the living daylights out of each other does nothing for me. I'm not a fan of boxing or MMA at all and whilst I respect the effort, talent, skill and all the good things boxing can bring, at the end of the day, I just don't like it. The pool in which KT competes is small as well, (but growing and the standard is getting higher).

And then there is the simple fact that both professional and amateur boxing is possibly the most corrupt sport in the world over the last 10 years.
Amateur boxing is corrupt as well. I don't like seeing boxers beating one another either. I have no time whatsoever for MMA. The pool in which Katie competes in may be small but there is tough talent there just the same. And Katie seeks out the best every time. And so far has come out on top. I would like to see her retire though ....at the very top .

But sure a horse that can run fast and a person who can sit on their back... is it a sport at all? :)
Revenue would say not, but the courts have declared it officially a sport

Revenue would say not, but the courts have declared it officially a sport
It is amazing that Revenue decide if something is a Sport and, indeed, if a religion is a Religion.

Back