Health Insurance Just taken out health insurance and need a few questions answered.

faolteam

Hi folks I'm pretty new to this and was late getting my health insurance IE 59, Signify Laya 5 months in use

What I want to know is if I go to my local Doctor GP, for check up and get Flu jab, and COVID jab , am I covered , Can I claim back the consultation, and if I need a blood test can I claim that to, will this effect my renewal as a claim, thanks for advice

Last edited by a moderator:
will this effect my renewal as a claim
Health insurance is different to other insurances. Claims you make do not have any impact on your renewal price. There's no such going as a no claims discount with health insurance.

Laya don't have a waiting period for outpatient expenses, so you should be able to claim a refund for what your policy covers.

What I want to know is if I go to my local Doctor GP, for check up and get Flu jab, and COVID jab , am I covered , Can I claim back the consultation, and if I need a blood test can I claim that to, will this effect my renewal as a claim, thanks for advice

VHI usually provide what they call a Table of Benefits and I'm sure Laya provide something similar to enable you to check exactly what you are covered for so worthwhile checking that out with them.

Covid injections are free of charge but flu vaccinations are only free to people in the 'at risk' groups such as elderly, immunocompromised etc.

As mentioned before check your cover with Laya and they will confirm if you are covered for outpatient expenses which would cover doctor's visit and blood tests which are often done by the practice nurse/phlebotomist.

Myself and Mrs C are both with Laya and yes you are covered.
Our policy's cover €30 per doctors appointment and have in the past paid for Doctors appointments, blood tests and different vaccines
The Covid and/or the Flu jab is free but you might have to pay for an appointment to administer at the surgery, not sure about the Pharmacy
And no, making a claim or a series of claims in a year wont affect your renewal premiums

the Flu jab is free but you might have to pay for an appointment to administer at the surgery, not sure about the Pharmacy

The flu jab is only free to people in the 'at risk' category and appears to cost approx. €35 in pharmacies etc.

'How much does the Flu vaccine cost?
The flu vaccine will be provided for Free to adults who fall into an at-risk category.
If you don’t fall into one of these categories, the cost is €35. The flu
vaccine is also provided to children 2-12 years for Free.'

Hi folks I'm pretty new to this and was late getting my health insurance IE 59, Signify Laya 5 months in use

Make sure the receipt is made out as a consultation and then it will be paid.
They won't directly cover blood test iirc but if done as part of a consultation they will.
In my GP surgery a blood test is performed by a nurse and is significantly cheaper than a consultation so I don't claim through LAYA but on MED1 full amount. For an annual blood test I arrange nurse appointment first, and book in GP consultation to discuss the results 7-10 days later.

They don't directly cover the flu jab. A very broad category of people are eligible to receive it for free - much broader than those eligible for covid. You may be eligible - see link above.

The covid jab is either free or you aren't eligible to get it at all.

Such claims will have no effect on renewal.

This gives details about your Signify policy:

You'll find GP visits under Everyday Medical Expenses - "Up to €25 per visit for 3 visits. 100% cover for 2 HSE GP out of hours visits".
There are Laya policies with higher outpatient cover so if that's important to you you could always upgrade.

Are receipts from doctor not a Consulation

Are receipts from doctor not a Consulation
Not in my experience if it wasn't actually a consultation - if you've just done a blood test or a prescription renewal or filling out of a form for example. The practice may charge different fees for these as single services and the receipt is described accordingly. If it is a general consultation and as part of that you get prescription renewal, then it would say consultation.

My policy "Control 300 Create" gives me a refund of €30 per GP "visit"
All my receipts from the practice state exactly what the visit was for
These over the last 3 years have been for general consultations, blood tests, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring of which there were 4
and various vaccines administered by the nurse like a tetanus booster
All of which have been refunded without question by Laya
In the members section, Laya state that they will "refund up to €30 per GP visit" which I take to include any service that the practice provides

These over the last 3 years have been for general consultations, blood tests, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring of which there were 4
In the members section, Laya state that they will "refund up to €30 per GP visit" which I take to include any service that the practice provides
I had a blood test declined a few years back by Laya but sounds like I must try again.

Was that refunded in full?

Screenshot_20231016-101912__01.jpg

This what I found

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231016-101924__02.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016-101924__02.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20231016-101912__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016-101912__01.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 44
@faolteam if you click on the Signify policy link in my previous post #7 you will find all the refund information for your policy laid out clearly.

Other policies will have slightly different refund criteria. Yours refunds up to €25 per GP visit for a total of 3 visits. So no matter how many times you visit your GP (for whatever reason) you will only get a maximum of €75 back - plus 100% of two out-of-hours HSE GP visits. Claims are easy to make via the Laya mobile app.

Was that refunded in full?
On my policy we get back up to €30 per visit, once the charge is above €30 we the full €30 back and as far as I can see there is no limit as to how many times we can claim this during the year
But as mct1 says above each policy is different with different levels of refunds available

Went to the nurse at my GP to get the Covid booster and I decided to also get the Flu vaccine at the same time
Got a receipt for €25 from the nurse which just said "Flu"
Emailed the receipt to Laya yesterday and today got an email back stating that the €25 has been refunded to me

Went to the nurse at my GP to get the Covid booster and I decided to also get the Flu vaccine at the same time
Got a receipt for €25 from the nurse which just said "Flu"
Emailed the receipt to Laya yesterday and today got an email back stating that the €25 has been refunded to me
Things have definitely changed over time as I remember having that refused before, or maybe I made the mistake of asking for permission instead of just sending it in and seeing what the all knowing algorithm says.

So I can get the flu jab free if u have receipt

Who can get a free flu vaccine​

You can get a free flu vaccine if you are:
  • age 65 and older
  • age 2 to 12
  • a healthcare worker
  • pregnant
  • living in a nursing home or other long-term care facility
  • in regular contact with pigs, poultry or waterfowl
  • someone with a health condition that puts you at higher risk of flu (age 6 months and older)
  • living with someone who has a health condition that puts them at higher risk of flu
  • a carer for someone who has a health condition that puts them at higher risk of flu

Back