Joint Deposit Accounts

sooty

What is the story with joint deposit accounts when it is the case of say father & son......in the event of the death of one party, do the funds automatically go to the other party. I seem to be under the impression that it is only in the case of husband & wife that the proceeds automatically fall to the other party. I thought that in other cases that even though the two names are on the account, it still forms part of the estate of the deceased member.

Almost all joint deposit accounts are designated "either or survivor" which means that if 1 party died the surviving party can withdraw the funds. Regarding the issue of wills and estates this is a separate matter and unless there is a specific document dealing with the shareholding on the account it could cause difficulties.

if a joint deposit account is not in names of a husband and wife then if the balance is over what used to be i think fivee thousanad pounds the funds cannot be released to the survivor without a certificate of clearance from the revenue commissioners. if in name of husband and wife a death cert will suffice.

Back