Joint Account and Old Debt

Pugmister

Hi, I am hoping someone may be bale to shed some light on the following situation.

About 10 years my finacee, while young and care free fell for some sort of cheque scam wherby someone sends you a cheque to lodge to you account (in this case 5k) and requests that you send a portion of this money back to them or something along those lines. She lodged the cheque to her account and subsequently withdrew the available funds.

To cut a long story short, the cheque was unpaid and the bank chased her for the funds to be repaid. A small portion of this was paid but the remainder was not. A number of letters from both the bank and debt collection services followed but stopped after a period of time.

Fast forward to now and we are about to open a joint account. As i work for the a financial institution I would like to open our joint account with the same institution however this also happens to be the one my fiancee previously banked with.

I am wondering if a joint account is opened and the bank still have this unpaid debt recorded can they take funds from a joint account ?

Back