jobseeker benefit ending

baseljacko

I'm on jobseekers benefit for the last few years as I am was put on a 3 day week and it has just run out. I know I can go onto jobseekers allowance which is means tested. I know that I will not get anything.

My question is if I do go back to work a 5 day week for lets say for 4 months can I go back and sign on again if I'm put back to a 3 day week again.

Another question, if I don't go into the social welfare office now to talk to them and in the future need to sign back on again will it affect me in anyway.

Re-qualifying for Jobseeker's Benefit

If you have used up your entitlement to Jobseeker's Benefit (JB), you may re-qualify by working and paying the appropriate PRSI contributions for at least 13 weeks. If you are working and getting JB, as in the case of systematic short-time workers and some part-time workers, the 13 weeks paid contributions can begin once you have claimed JB for 156 days.

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment to re-qualify for JB, unless you are a casual worker. If you have lost your job you will have suffered a substantial loss of employment. If you are a part-time or systematic short-time worker DSP will look at your pattern of employment over the last 13 weeks or another representative period to find out whether you have suffered a substantial loss of employment.

For example, if you are getting JB and working 3 days each week as a systematic short-time worker or a part-time worker and your employment pattern has not changed during the course of your JB claim, you will not have suffered a substantial loss of employment and will not re-qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit.

However, if your JB claim ends and your 3 day week working week is then reduced to a 2 day week, you will have suffered a substantial loss of employment and may re-qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nts/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

As regards your last question it's entirely up to you whether you make a claim for JSA or not and will have no effect on any future claim.

You should apply for Jobseekers Allowance. Even if you're above the means test, you can still get a credited PRSI contribution which will help maintain social welfare and pension rights further down the line.

OP does not need to get a credited contribution from sw as they are in part-time employment and their employer is paying a prsi contribution for them.

Back