Job seeker's and outstanding tax?

heyho

I was made redundant last year and claimed Job seeker's for some time until I got a contract role as a self employed contractor early this year.

I haven't yet made a tax return as a self employed person, and before I could, I was let go with no notice. I have savings and was going to pay the tax but now am concerned that it might take some time to find another role so I would prefer not to pay the tax bill just yet, until I have another job!

If I go to the social welfare office to enquire about looking for job seeker's, will the fact that I am not up to date with my tax cause any issues? Thanks.

Go in and ask them .

From experience they are helpful and you might as well get clarity as soon as possible.
Not being up to date with Mr Tax man is not a good idea, but from what you seem to say ,have you even registered as self-employed?
From what I have seen , going from Paye work and trying to go Self employed is looked on as OK by SW .

Thanks!
Yes I am registered as self employed, just hasn't been for very long and then had a bit of a fright when I got let go so close to Christmas so am a bit nervous about them demanding payment etc.
I'll call into them and have a chat - I suppose as you say they look favourably on the fact that I have been employed and that I've not been claiming etc.

Suggestion. ;
making your Prsi contribution of e 500 to protect your contributory pension, I think is a way to (soften) things?.

Hi Heyho,

If I am reading your OP correctly you were self-employed for a period during 2014 and have now ceased?

If this is the case then the tax return is not due until October/November 2015 and tax is also not due until then so you are not overdue.

This refers only to Income Tax, if you were charging your customers VAT it may well be overdue, in which case contact Revenue and come to an arrangement with them.

With regard to Social Welfare, I believe they will need to see final accounts to determine whether you will qualify for any payment from them.

If the money you have saved to pay your tax bill brings you over the meanstest then I presume you would be better off paying it over to Revenue sooner rather than later.

Best of luck with the jobhunting.

As you have been a PAYE worker in 2013 and before I presume you are applying for Jobseekers Benefit (not means tested) so your savings are not a consideration.

Apply for your jobseekers and there are plenty of questions on that form to be answered but I can't remember seeing a request for an up to date tax report (open to correction on that)

Back