Job said not to work 1 weeks notice

That's nonsense. The WRC process is very straightforward. If there is any sort of a case they will find in favour of the employee. The awards are usually much smaller than the employee expects.

SME's often don't have the resources to defend themselves, or to have a watertight HR system, so they usually end up on the wrong side of the process.

Thankfully most employees know that Unions kill small businesses so they avoid joining them.
I can only go on my own experience.

My kids and their friends are working mininum wage jobs for small businesses. They work long hours, with hardly any breaks, and have to divide their service tips with the owner. They worked , very hard, for this charlatan for two years.
I told them to ask for their annual leave entitlement, at which point they were both sacked.
This is the crux of the WRC complaint.
It is widespread abuse and exploitation of young employees.
They have new jobs in a different business, but are still not getting their annual leave entitlement and, after their last experience, are unlikely to challenge this malpractice.
I'm afraid many small business owners are amoral and, basically, steal their young employees money.

I can only go on my own experience.

My kids and their friends are working mininum wage jobs for small businesses. They work long hours, with hardly any breaks, and have to divide their service tips with the owner. They worked , very hard, for this charlatan for two years.
I told them to ask for their annual leave entitlement, at which point they were both sacked.
This is the crux of the WRC complaint.
It is widespread abuse and exploitation of young employees.
They have new jobs in a different business, but are still not getting their annual leave entitlement and, after their last experience, are unlikely to challenge this malpractice.
I'm afraid many small business owners are amoral and, basically, steal their young employees money.
Yes, many small employers exploit young unskilled employees. My daughter was getting paid €7.07 an hour for working Saturday and Sunday in a Pharmacy when she was 17. I don't agree with lower rates for younger employees. If you are doing the same job as an older person you should get the same rate.
Employers treat them as casual labour. It's not right.

Minimum wage
Yes, many small employers exploit young unskilled employees. My daughter was getting paid €7.07 an hour for working Saturday and Sunday in a Pharmacy when she was 17. I don't agree with lower rates for younger employees. If you are doing the same job as an older person you should get the same rate.
Employers treat them as casual labour. It's not right.
this was perfectly legal, minimum wage until recently for u18's was €7.07 per hour.

Minimum wage

this was perfectly legal, minimum wage until recently for u18's was €7.07 per hour.
It is but I don't think it's right. She fast that she got two four hour shifts 12-4 meant that the whole weekend was screwed up for €61.60. Once the girls working there were over 18 (and they were all girls, the Pharmacist said she didn't employ boys) they were got rid of. There was no holiday pay.

Thankfully most employees know that Unions kill small businesses so they avoid joining them.
I think they avoid joining them because they’re poor value for money and because employees are less wedded to single companies than they were in the past.

I think they avoid joining them because they’re poor value for money and because employees are less wedded to single companies than they were in the past.
That too; unless they are pushing around their unionised bosses in the State and Protected sectors they are useless at actually addressing real problems.

If a person working 10 weeks in a job and then gave 1 weeks notice to their employer. Then employer couple of days later say don't bother working your 1 weeks notice as if you don't want to work here then just leave now. Which the person did as told.
Is the person entitled to be paid for the weeks notice they were willing to work?
Tks
Employer dead right,

You usually have two response types in a question like this, those that feel the employee is hard done by, or employer is hard done by.

I’m the latter tbh.

Taking on an employee is very time consuming, between training to your standard and the logistics of getting them on the payroll, it’s no picnic for the SME.

The problem here is your end for what ever reason. If the employer made a bad judgment call in employing the person and wanted rid, different story altogether.

I also don’t think you’re doing them any favours going into the real world even posing such a question having completed such a short stint in the workplace. That mind set will do them no favours at all.

On my own experience, I’ve encountered such situations, but, knowing your dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t tick every box to satisfy a grieving employee as they run to the union/wrc headquarters, I’ve sent them off there and then with what they’re due. They’re not doing me any favours putting in that extra week.

While you wouldn’t expect a small business to have developed in-house employment law expertise, very few of them even consider a low-cost outsourcing of HR/IR advice that would probably set them back less than 1000 a year and which would reduce their exposure to spurious try-ons.

Very often, companies lose at the WRC for their failure to have, or to observe, proper procedures - not necessarily because of the reasonableness of the claim itself.

While you wouldn’t expect a small business to have developed in-house employment law expertise, very few of them even consider a low-cost outsourcing of HR/IR advice that would probably set them back less than 1000 a year and which would reduce their exposure to spurious try-ons.
Or they could spend a few hours on the Citizens Information website. It's not rocket science.
Very often, companies lose at the WRC for their failure to have, or to observe, proper procedures - not necessarily because of the reasonableness of the claim itself.
Yep. I'd say the majority of the time but that's purely anecdotal.

Back