It could happen to any of us.........

Presumably the fact she never heard from him again after the 1 nighter would indicate he wasnt interested in setting up anything romantic with her!!

On a broader note though - that type of situation has probably happened loads of times, there could be 100s of guys out there who have no idea they are a father. Whats scary is the thought that if you were a guy who had a child you didnt know about, and you then went on and had another child, there is nothing to stop the 2 kids running into each other (in Coppers perhaps?) 18 or so years later and hooking up without knowing they had the same father.

Oh. My. God!
That poor man is up for the shock of his life!
Someone will recognise him from the description, definitely.:eek:
In the long term, probably a good thing (for the little girl).
In the short term, Jaysus.

Very sad story. Hopefully the little girl won't have to go through life never knowing her dad. Don't know truthseeker if you watch Fair City but what you said about siblings meeting up years later is the big storyline there at the moment and we see the consequences for the whole family.

Whats scary is the thought that if you were a guy who had a child you didnt know about, and you then went on and had another child, there is nothing to stop the 2 kids running into each other (in Coppers perhaps?) 18 or so years later and hooking up without knowing they had the same father.

All pubs will have blood and DNA testing in the next 10 years to prove what age you are. Should be simple enough then to have an id badge with DNA lineage information stored, when selecting partner for the evening, have a little something that you could swipe to prove youre more then 4-5 bloodlines apart. ;)

Or could tell little Roisin or Robert when theyre out and meet someone, if the first kiss is awkward, to ask do they know who theyre dad is.

Presumably the fact she never heard from him again after the 1 nighter would indicate he wasnt interested in setting up anything romantic with her!!

On a broader note though - that type of situation has probably happened loads of times, there could be 100s of guys out there who have no idea they are a father. Whats scary is the thought that if you were a guy who had a child you didnt know about, and you then went on and had another child, there is nothing to stop the 2 kids running into each other (in Coppers perhaps?) 18 or so years later and hooking up without knowing they had the same father.

Someone hasn't been watching Fair City, or indeed Hollyoaks...this story has been done to death in both.

Yes.
Perhaps she's like the child to have a father, or at least to know who the father is?

Am I the only one thinking she's after maintenance?

sure so what if she is? do you not think that a guy should be partially financially responsible for a child he fathered?

I dont watch any soaps - gutted my idea for a storyline is too late!!

sure so what if she is? do you not think that a guy should be partially financially responsible for a child he fathered?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, but let her at least be honest about it.

partially financially responsible for a child he fathered

Lets wait for the paternity test before we get too far ahead of ourselves. Who's to say the father isn't the guy she had a 'night of passion' with the weekend before, or the weekend after...or is that being unfair on her?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, but let her at least be honest about it.

Lets wait for the paternity test before we get too far ahead of ourselves. Who's to say the father isn't the guy she had a 'night of passion' with the weekend before, or the weekend after...or is that being unfair on her?

The article only says she wants to tell him he is the father of a 'beautiful baby girl' - there is nothing to suggest she is being honest or dishonest.

Oh definitely - paternity test all the way - but I think it would be pretty dense to come out in national newspapers etc...looking for a father if you thought it might be someone else, Im just making an assumption here but surely the girl wouldnt go to this amount of effort if there was a chance the father was a guy from a different weekend etc....

I think you might be giving her a bit too much credit, given the information we have to hand about her (and we can infer a fair bit).

For all we know this could have been a lie that got out of hands e.g. maybe she slept with her boyfriends brother or something and needed an alibi, and rather than back down she had to follow through with the lie.

Plus it's the Herald 'reporting' it...

rmelly - it could easily be a lie that got out of hand.

However - just based on the facts as they are stated in the story (its in the Indo too), the girl is perfectly entitled to seek maintenance off her babies father.

Where did I say she wasn't? Of course she is if he's the babies father.

Any truth in the rumour that he went down in the box before scoring?

Not that I'm aware of, maybe they can get Roisin back on the radio to confirm or deny?

Wonder how many nurses there are in Dublin called 'Roisin' who gave birth in Jan/Feb 2008? If only I knew someone in HSE HR...

Any truth in the rumour that he went down in the box before scoring?

After speaking with some guys on this over lunch, we are agreed that "I have to go football training" is the number one excuse for a lad to scarper after waking up beside an anonymous lady in a strange bed on a sunday morning. Whether they play football or not.

Back