Issue with work contract

onemanortwo

I've been working with my company now for 2.5 years. The work is stressful and we're under-staffed (who isn't). My notice period is 3 months however, (I thought it was 2) I expected that I'd get out earlier as I've put in a lot of work and am a member of Snr Mgt. Duty served and all that. It's a 24/7 company and I'm the contact point for all hours, so I work a lot.

Anyho, I get offered a new job, they really like me, it's my idea job, I've been working for a long time to get this job and I want to get in asap. I tell the new place my notice is 2 months (thought it was at the time) but I can get out in 6 weeks, honestly thought it wouldn't be an issue. Now my current company seem to be playing hardball. Telling me at point of completing of some targets that they've not really defined yet I can go etc. But also telling me to remember I'm under contract for 3 months.

Does anybody have any advice on how to handle this and what can be done on behalf of my company to keep me here? I've offered to work weekends, last nights, be on the end of the phone for them for free for a month, but I'm still facing a hard line.

If you walk out the door in 2 months what will they actually do??

Did you sign the contract?

Well I guess that's the question, I don't know what they can do. Get an injunction against me starting work.
Not pay me I guess.

I've got the contract from the new place signed by their CEO. Do I need to sing and send back? Not sure what the point of that is? (excuse my ignorance).

it's clear you are not happy in your current role. Have a discussion with your new employers and ask them if you can delay your start date by a couple of more weeks so you can do a full and proper handover in your current role and bring a couple of projects to a completion. If they say yes, happy days, sign the contract and hand in your notice. If they say no, sign your contract and hand in your notice.

There is little your current employer can do. They can't refuse to pay you for your 2 months as you will still be employed by them. They are unlikely to want to spend money on getting a court injunction especially if it results in you revealing as part of that case that they are not an attractive employer.

Your real issue here is a reference, they may not give you a glowing reference as a result of your actions

I have discussed with the new people, they say two months max but I miss out on some bonus schemes if I get there after 1 july.

The reference isn't an issue, my boss would still give me a decent ref', it's really just the company.
The keep pointing out that my finish date is 3 months time.

My concern is they trying to mess up my new job. They know where I'm going (big mistake telling them) and
I'm worried that they'll mail HR there and tell them I can't leave until now plus 3 months... Would this be illegal?

Back