Isolating water for electric shower

charlie_45

Hi, does anyone have any tips on where to find the tap to switch off water to an electric shower? I’m planning to replace one Triton with another but can’t seem to turn off water. I’ve turned off mains under kitchen sink and the cold water tap in hot press coming from tank that feeds bathroom cold taps but shower is still running.
All advice very welcome

Our Triton T90 is fed directly from the water tank in the attic. There is an isolation valve on this pipe in the attic to turn off the water to the shower.
Make sure to cut off the electricity supply before removing the shower cover.

Most likely the attic.
There should be a valve on the shower supply
Pipe.
Don’t forget too vent the new shower before switching it on

I presume the shower is upstairs,if so you should be able to see how the existing shower is fed.

Worst case scenario there may not be an isolation valve, in that case you will have to shut off the mains and drain down the tank in the attic. You could take the opportunity to clean and sterilise it if you have to go down that road.

You could take the opportunity to clean and sterilise it if you have to go down that road.
Sterilise the tank?
I've never heard of that before and have never done it.
The most I've ever heard of is maybe removing dead pigeons or rodents... :D

Sterilise the tank?
I've never heard of that before and have never done it.
The most I've ever heard of is maybe removing dead pigeons or rodents... :D
I hadn't either until I saw it as a recommendation on a building survey. Simple enough to do, think Milton for a babies bottle only on a larger scale.

You just dose the tank with powder, lot of the camping places will stock it as it's recommended for motor home and similar tanks at the start of each season.

Never saw an isolation valve to the shower.
While it would be a good idea with frequent-use showers needing changes every few years, the simple solution is to tie up the ballcock in the roof feeder tank and drain it through the handbasin's and bath's hot tap.

Like Leo says, it's a great opportunity to clean the feeder tank once it's drained and maybe get some sort of covering for it to prevent dust settling into it. You can't do anything about build-up of limescale from the water. But if the ballcock is badly scaled it might not prevent overflow.
In this situation you must shut off the mains flow to the roof feeder tank and then take off the ballcock and immerse it in hot water + plenty of citric acid crystals until the scale is dissolved away leaving the surfaces clean.
I don't think that a "professional" would do often bother to clean the roof tank or ballcock when changing the shower. It would take more time and he'd have to charge more.
Besides, a real "pro" would just change the limescaled ballcock and bill you for that too . . .

Back