Is the cost of electricity still that high??

He may live in a 1 bed apartment with no balcony or drying space. Its extremely difficult to dry anything without a dryer in those circumstances. Get a heat pump dryer if you can, in that case.

Dehumidifier for those cases.

They'll change your life.

I NEVER use a dryer and have to dry in my utility room (technically a bed room as I have more of a studio setup).

I put washes on every other day and clothes are typically good to go the next day, totally dry by the time the next wash needs to be hung.

I got a basic model off amazon. They're of untold benefit.

Also before I moved in, I knew this apartment had a mold problem; which is completely taken care of (another benefit of dehumidifiers).

He may live in a 1 bed apartment with no balcony or drying space. Its extremely difficult to dry anything without a dryer in those circumstances. Get a heat pump dryer if you can, in that case.
No, buy yourself a clothes horse, open window and bingo clothes dry. As what generations have done previously.

If you can't afford the electricity, don't expect a subsidy to tumble dry clothes.

Family of 4 here, no tumble drier. Have dehumidifier. Excellent, low cost for winter use

No, buy yourself a clothes horse, open window and bingo clothes dry. As what generations have done previously.
Previous generations lived in very draughty buildings where mould wasn't such a concern. It's not advisable to release that amount of water (5 litres per load) into a modern construction without mechanical extraction running.

The power consumption of a dehumidifier running most of the day trying to pull all that additional water out of the air will actually be greater than that of a modern heat pump dryer.

The power consumption of a dehumidifier running most of the day trying to pull all that additional water out of the air will actually be greater than that of a modern heat pump dryer.
My cheap and cheerful dehumidifier is 280W.
According to this:
The average heat pump dryer uses 0.6 kWh per hour
That's 600W.

According to this:

That's 600W.
Yeah, the dehumidifier will run for 12 hours to pull 5l of water out of the air, by which time some of that moisture will migrate to other parts of the building perhaps condensing on cooler surfaces.

A Beko heat pump dryer for example consumes 1.44 kWh drying an 8kg cottons load, condensing that moisture internally. There are less efficient models out there of course, but it's not as clear cut as it was not so long ago.

According to this:

That's 600W.
I have tried both. Its fine if its just a few pairs of knickers, but a set of towels or sheets are just too much to hang out unless you've a large home with lots of space for drying. My drier does both in under 2 hours, whereas trying to dry these in my previous small flats with no outdoor drying space took anything from 2-5 days

Yeah, the dehumidifier will run for 12 hours to pull 5l of water out of the air, by which time some of that moisture will migrate to other parts of the building perhaps condensing on cooler surfaces.

A Beko heat pump dryer for example consumes 1.44 kWh drying an 8kg cottons load, condensing that moisture internally. There are less efficient models out there of course, but it's not as clear cut as it was not so long ago.
This also - remember the dehumidifier will not just pull moisture from your drying clothes, it will pull moisture from all over the house as air circulates. So Leo is right in saying that it will spend much more time running.
I use this Candy model

Full load: 1.93 kWh
Half load: 1.08 kWh

A dehumidifier running for 10-12 hours is surely going to cost more than that. Plus it actually dries the clothes properly.

Bord Gais running a Black Friday deal over the weekend until Monday.

25% off discounts.

These are the dual fuel Urban prices, as an example

Gas
Unit rates 9.26 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge €143.15
Carbon Tax €0.00877/kWh

Electricity
Urban 24 hour rate 30.54 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge €237.56

Prices include VAT at 9%. Prices displayed are effective from 9 November 2023 and are subject to change.

Thanks Odyssey06, never thought to look at an energy supplier for a Black Friday deal
And its at the right time as I'm renewing now

Check it out carefully as the 24 hour rates are usually more expensive to start with. The 25% may compensate for the extra charge but as someone mentioned recently you would need to be an actuary to figure it all out.

Maybe www.energypal.ie might help as recommended in this thread. I think you can set up a new section yourself on it and include a 25% discount.

Check it out carefully as the 24 hour rates are usually more expensive to start with. The 25% may compensate for the extra charge but as someone mentioned recently you would need to be an actuary to figure it all out.

Maybe www.energypal.ie might help as recommended in this thread. I think you can set up a new section yourself on it and include a 25% discount.
Thanks Sue, I'm on the free electricity sun smart plan and am planning to move to BG's EV smart plan so the link you provided is of great help
And It would seem for me and my usage BG is by far the cheapest deal out there

Two things to note
One, energypal has been updated to include the BG Black Friday deal
And two, I see in the "change history/notes section" that there was a issue with calculating BGs free sat/sun plans which was fixed last Tuesday

On a personal note I can't believe that the only Black Friday deal that I'm going to avail of is this, oh how times have changed :)

For those of you with Bord Gais and who may have renewed at lower discounts prior to this Black Friday deal,
there is no early exit fee of €50 from your current plan if you'd like to avail of BG's BFD
The exit fee only applies if you're changing energy supplier

Bord Gais running a Black Friday deal over the weekend until Monday.

25% off discounts.

These are the dual fuel Urban prices, as an example

Gas
Unit rates 9.26 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge €143.15
Carbon Tax €0.00877/kWh

Electricity
Urban 24 hour rate 30.54 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge €237.56

Prices include VAT at 9%. Prices displayed are effective from 9 November 2023 and are subject to change.

Thanks Odyssey, I am an existing Bord Gais customer on 15% discount Smart EV, so signed up this morning for the 25% discount. Thanks for sharing, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it.

For those of you with Bord Gais and who may have renewed at lower discounts prior to this Black Friday deal,
there is no early exit fee of €50 from your current plan if you'd like to avail of BG's BFD
The exit fee only applies if you're changing energy supplier

@Protocol

In case you miss this offer which finishes today. Not sure if you mentioned before that you were only being offered 15% whereas the Black Friday deal is 25% with no penalty for switching plan.

Thank you.

I missed the 38% discount at my renewal a few weeks ago, and have been kicking myself ever since.

Then, this morning, luckily, I decided to take a later transport to work. Meanwhile, I glanced at this page, and spotted the Black Friday deal.

I signed up there and then.

:):):) I wish to thank you and @odyssey06 again.

SSE Airtricity announce decreases in electricity (12.8%) and gas (11.5%) prices from February 2024.

Good to see this but it's a tad cynical in my view. The decrease doesn't kick in for 7 weeks. BGE announced a decrease in September that didn't kick in for 60 days. Conversely when prices were rising rapidly up to late 2022 they always increased with 30 days notice across all suppliers.

The government credits are now being applied to accounts.

If one switches providers, any idea how that effects the account being credited?

Back