Is the 41% Exit Tax Soon to be Scrapped? Michael McGrath to Review

Taxes with a broad base and a low rate are best:
-socially sustainable
-reduce economic distortions
-maximise yield

The purpose of the €1,270 exemption is more to reduce the compliance burden on the little guy and so that Revenue aren’t dealing with a huge volume of small transactions. I would keep it that way.
Well then why haven't they at least raised it with inflation like they do with most other things, it should be closer to 10K now and that still would be low enough, that would do more than anything to get the little guy to invest rather than leaving it sitting in bank accounts, 150 billion in banks earning nothing, I think only something like 20billiion invested by irish investors in ETFs yet irish domiciled Etfs are valued at over 1 trillion so irish investors are being kept out of all that by our silly taxation system

I agree it should be raised but 10k is high, CPI in the period since the euro was introduced in Jan 1999 €1,270 would be worth €2,214 in Apr 2024

https://visual.cso.ie/?body=entity/cpicalculator

Capture.PNG

It sounds like lunatic stuff…luring people from the lowest risk investment, i.e. cash, into early-stage venture capital type stuff, i.e. the highest risk stuff.

We should be incentivising people to diversify and to invest in things like ETFs.
probably eamon Ryan has his hand in this wanting investor cash for his green agenda stuff. If they go with that it will be another telecom eireann fiasco with loads of novice investors turned off investing for life again because of government ignorance

probably eamon Ryan has his hand in this wanting investor cash for his green agenda stuff. If they go with that it will be another telecom eireann fiasco with loads of novice investors turned off investing for life again because of government ignorance
Some sort of ISA style investment that only allows article 9 EU domiciled and EU focused funds. That could tick a lot of boxes.

that only allows article 9 EU domiciled and EU focused funds. That could tick a lot of boxes.

I'm not seeing any desire whatsover from 100% equity investors/savers to seek out Article 8 funds (never mind Article 9) - be they screened index trackers or managed equity funds - for their money.

It's Article 6 Index Trackers where folk are invested and I doubt they'll move existing monies.

Article 9 for new money? We might have a way to go on that one.

Gerard

www.bond.ie

I'm not seeing any desire whatsover from 100% equity investors/savers to seek out Article 8 funds (never mind Article 9) - be they screened index trackers or managed equity funds - for their money.

It's Article 6 Index Trackers where folk are invested and I doubt they'll move existing monies.

Article 9 for new money? We might have a way to go on that one.

Gerard

www.bond.ie
My old employers pension scheme replaced their global equity tracker fund with an 'ethical' version. That would likely be the way most people become exposed to article 8.

My current employers scheme offers an article 9 fund. Looking at the most recent trustee report, it doesn't seem too popular with members.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the new CSRD regulations coming in.

Back