Is seller in anyway liable

rebelroy

Hi
I know this site deals with Irish Issues but I'll ask the question in case anybody has any experience either in Ireland or the UK. My Sister recently bought a flat in Edinburgh and got the keys last Friday. She got a survey done and all was deemed well. The seller had put a new bathroom in (in order to bump up the selling price of course). Since she has moved in she has a lot of problems with the electrics and when she turned the shower on it blew all the fuses. She had an electrician friend take a look and he said she was lucky she wasn't electrocuted the job was so shoddy. He said significant rewiring work had to be done. In short what I'm asking has my sister any comeback on the seller who essentially left the flat in a dangerous condition or is it too late once the deal is done.

Any advice/information gratly appreciated as always.

Did she not get the place surveyed before buying? I don't think that the seller is responsible to be honest. She should ask her solicitor.

Yes she got a survey done and everything was deemed fine. Could the surveyor be held someway responsible for not doing his job correctly?
The fact that the flat was left in a dangerous condition surely unsuspecting buyers shouldn't be left exposed like that.

The surveyor could be liable but she'd really need to check with her solicitor in my opinion.

CHeck the type of survey that she paid for....In the UK surveyors offer various levels of survey....at various levels of cost

I don't think she'll have much comeback with the seller after all remember "buyer beware" saying.

Did she get a written report by her surveyor stating what he checked,ie electrics, structural etc. Because maybe it was only a structural survey or a bank survey which only checks to see if the property is worth the money their lending. If it was a full survey then she may me able to claim from whoever carried it out. The law in Scotland is probably different to Ireland but I would advise checking with a solicitor especially if its going to be a costly procedure to fix.

the standard homebuyer's survey is just over £300 if i remember corectly. when i last purchased i spent the guts of £1,000 on a full survey in order to provide me with piece of mind. i doubt if the buyer has any recourse against the seller (but this is certainly not a legal opinion), so the buyer needs to examine the survey.

Thanks for the replies - She is checking with her solicitor re seller and surveyor. I wouldn't be too hopeful but I'm sure she'll learn from the experience.

Back