Is Redundancy the best choice for me?

advice needed

I have worked part-time for the same company for 10 years, we have just been notified that the company is moving 80km away. The option I have been given is statuary redundancy or to move to the new premises. When I asked if I could be considered for a full-time post my manager came back to me and said unfortunately that they would not be able to offer me a full-time position. This is all very straight forward except that I have asked last year to have my work load looked at as I felt I was doing full time work in part-time hours when I went on maternity leave in 2013 and 2015 a full-time person was taken in to cover my maternity leave and only 3 weeks ago I sent an email to my manager in relation to my work load (this was prior to hearing that the company was moving) Can anyone maybe advise what I should do? Is redundancy my best option?

We don't know how much you are earning. We don't know where you are living. We don't know if you drive. We don't know if the 50 mile commute is viable. Factor in child-care costs. Put all the advantages and disadvantages on paper - you will then know what you should do.

The other key issues are:
Are you working 5 half days or two full days? Commuting 160km to work for half a day is unlikely to be viable.

And what are the alternatives? If you can get a full-time job nearer home, then you should grab the redundancy.

If you reject the redundancy and don't like the move, then you are unlikely to be offered the redundancy. So it's probably a good idea to take the redundancy. I am not sure how it's calculated for part-time workers, but for full time workers, you would get 21 weeks pay up to a maximum of €600 a week. So if you are currently earning €200 a week, you would get €4,200 tax-free.

Brendan

Such a commute seems crazy to me. If you are are double-income family then you might consider crunching your numbers to see if becoming one income is viable. You'd save on any childcare costs you might be paying, perhaps go from two cars to one and, more importantly, have much more time with your young children and potentially a better quality of life for all.

Back