Is insurance offer enough?

uroman

I purchased a terraced house in Hull in April last year and it was broken into and wrecked in June. Initially the insurance company wouldn't payout because they said I hadn't advised them the property was vacant( I didn't know myself as my agent didn't tell me.)
Anyhow after a long battle they have agreed to payout because I was able to show theft caused by forcible entry. The problem is the quotes I got for the work ranged from £9500 to £12500, but they have offered only £5500 saying contents weren't covered. The contents damage wasn't very much, few carpets etc.
Should I accept the £5500 and be grateful i'm getting anything or fight my corner for more??
AT this stage i am tempted to accept the offer as they have been extremely unhelpful.

Initially the insurance company wouldn't payout because they said I hadn't advised them the property was vacant( I didn't know myself as my agent didn't tell me.)
Anyhow after a long battle they have agreed to payout because I was able to show theft caused by forcible entry.
I don't get this. Normally domestic insurance policies don't cover vacancy periods of c. 30+ days. If this is the case here then I don't understand why they are paying out at all!
they have offered only £5500 saying contents weren't covered.
Why not? Was it a buildings only policy rather than a combined buildings & contents policy?

I personally wold take the money and run. Normally there is a question on the proposal asking how is the property occupied, I presume you did complete a proposal.

The policy stated that theft would be covered without ant time restrictions as long as there was forcible entry. This applied only to the building element and not the contents which was subject to the 30 day restriction.
My arguement which they finally accepted after getting a copy of the police report was that theft has occured. They had ripped the copper pipes from the walls to sell, consequently causing substantial damage.
When I took out the policy the property was rented but the tenants left two weeks after the policy commenced.

I would take it. If the house is unoccupied it is up to you to tell them. They would usually then remove contents cover immediately.

You could take it and the check your contract with the letting agency to see whether it stipulates anything about vacancy period. You may have a case against them under their professional indemnity insurance for the difference that in the amount you didnt get from insurers.

Back