Is an american inch different to a european one?

Frank

I find my American jeans various makes fit better around my expanding middle better than my European pants or work pants of the same waste.

Is an Inch not an Inch?

I find my American jeans various makes fit better around my expanding middle better than my European pants or work pants of the same waste.

Is an Inch not an Inch?

Except for the fact that there is no such thing...

Do a quick google of "vanity sizing" makes very intersting (for me anyway) reading. It has been in womens clothing for years, and is creaping into mens clothing now.

I understand that a size 12 can vary from shop to shop... but surely a waist 32" leg 32" is the same everywhere?

No wonder shopping is a nightmare! :D

I understand that a size 12 can vary from shop to shop... but surely a waist 32" leg 32" is the same everywhere?

No wonder shopping is a nightmare! :D

I thought so too.... until I started measuring the actual waist sizes (legs don't change as much).

The worst I found was a pair of (American brand) jeans I ordered on line. The 36" waist actually measured 39". So I could see a 39" waisted American saying "my God, I'm a 36!". I had to get them taken in.

I think (humourously), that that is why women like shoes so much, they don't vary in size, either your feet or the shoe sizes. Consistency in a world gone mad I suppose.

Ah Jaysus I was hoping it was the Europeans being mean not the American's being generous :-(

I think (humourously), that that is why women like shoes so much, they don't vary in size, either your feet or the shoe sizes. Consistency in a world gone mad I suppose.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But recently my feet have either shrunk from a 4 to a 3 (& I've had size 4 feet since 1975) - or vanity sizing has arrived here too. :D

Back