Is a secured credit card possible in Ireland?

igotadose

One that doesn't require a regular deposit into a bank, but is secured by funds from an account? Possible in the US, Ireland appears to insist on a minimal taxable income in Ireland and regular deposits.

I don't see your problem. I've credit cards from AIB and BoI but my current a/c is with the TSB. I just applied for them.

I’ve never heard of such a product in Ireland.

I applied for a credit card from a well-known provider recently and they sought no proof of my declared income. Offered credit limit of over twice my net monthly income too.

I don't see your problem. I've credit cards from AIB and BoI but my current a/c is with the TSB. I just applied for them.
Same. I have an AIB credit card and apart from my Ulster Bank mortgage that recently moved to them I have no other accounts with AIB and haven't had for 15 years now. I don't even live in Ireland anymore and they are happy to keep my credit card going, taking the balance from my German current account every month and sending me the statements to my German address. I don't even pay stamp duty on the card as a non-resident ;-)

I kept it because it has a "silly Celtic Tiger" limit, it's free to own and I like having it as an emergency card, especially on holidays. I don't use it apart from the odd transaction to tell AIB I am still alive because it doesn't provide any air miles/member rewards.

I'm not sure what the OP is asking. It is very easy to have a credit card with an institution other than the one you bank with. My credit card is with Avant and I just transfer the money each month from my bank account.

The US is completely different when it comes to paying for things, they use credit cards for everything whereas in Ireland, we mainly use our debit cards. Credit card debt in the US is $1.08 trillion :eek:

I don't think they want a regular credit card.

Bunq have recently given a 'credit card' to customers. I didn't want another credit card because of the €30 stamp duty so I looked into this a bit more. Apparently it's a pre paid debit card but coded as a credit card for payments so it can be used for booking hotels/car rental etc. But it is not a loan facility so you need to top up first.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

I think secured credit cards are used in the US by people who don't have a good credit score to build up and improve their credit score. @igotadose - We don't do credit scores here. You don't need to take out loans and credit cards here to build up a credit score and give you access to better rates or more credit.

Back