Irish Rental Property & Foreign Mortgage

Celt07

Hi folks, hoping someone can clear this up? The situation is as follows -

Irish citizen, resident abroad for many years, remortgaged a foreign property to purchase an Irish rental property.

I'm wondering if it is possible to claim the 75% interest relief on the portion of interest relating to the Irish property?

S97 TCA simply states that one of the deductions authorised in the calculation of rental income is -

(e) interest on borrowed money employed in the purchase, improvement or repair of the premises.

Yes absolutely.

Hi folks, hoping someone can clear this up? The situation is as follows -

Irish citizen, resident abroad for many years, remortgaged a foreign property to purchase an Irish rental property.

I'm wondering if it is possible to claim the 75% interest relief on the portion of interest relating to the Irish property?

S97 TCA simply states that one of the deductions authorised in the calculation of rental income is -

(e) interest on borrowed money employed in the purchase, improvement or repair of the premises.

Both legal requirements but irrelevant to the OP's specific question.

But with regard to the second point presumably Revenue will, once the 75% claim is made, also look at the address of the OP so I thought it helpful to point that out.

Indeed, but I think its also helpful to clarify that interest deduction is applied, subject to PRTB compliance, but regardless of compliance with NPPR or 20% deduction/collection agent appointment rules.

Back