Irish drink on average 150 bottles of wine a year?

Z

z106

Di dany of yee hear this on that report today on teh news?

Surely that's complet rubbish.

That's 3 bottles a week each on average !!

No way I say !

Di dany of yee hear this on that report today on teh news?

Surely that's complet rubbish.

That's 3 bottles a week each on average !!

No way I say !
You haven't been on the sauce yourself already have you? If not then:

Are you saying you don't believe it because you think it's a lot or because you didn't think wine was that popular?

Don't drink wine that often myself but if it was my drink of choice I'm sure I'd have no problem drinking 3 bottles a week. Any wine drinkers I know would drink about this amount.

I don't think it's excessive - it's less than 15 glasses a week.

15 glass a week is not excessive , but for everyone like myself who doesn't have any you need someone having 30....

15 glass a week is not excessive....

Well it exceeds the maximum units of alcohol per week for a man or a woman who wishes to avoid harm, according to HSE guidelines.

1 bottle of wine = 10 units of alcohol
3 x 10 = 30 units
Maximum recommended weekly intake = 14 units for a woman and 21 units for a man.

But then, our reputation as a nation with a lax attitude to the harm alcohol causes in society is not deserved, is it?

See here for more info - http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=47

I think to average 3 bottles of wine each a week is very excessive.

3 a week? The average ?

No way. I don't believe it.

Where do people fit that in?

Perhaps i am taking the report up literally in that they are referring to the unit equivalent of 3 bottles of wine.
If that is the case then i find the report completely believable.

However the report definitely did say specifically 3 bottels of wine on average.
So - where do people manage to fit in 3 bottles of wine in each week?

Keep in mind that even the most enthusiastic wine drinkers would have quiet weeks which have to be made up for on other weeks to maintain teh 3 bottle average.

Well it exceeds the maximum units of alcohol per week for a man or a woman who wishes to avoid harm, according to HSE guidelines.

Pah!

Problem with this weekly unit intake thing is that it seems to be revised all the time. 1 standard glass of wine used to be regarded as 1 unit and you get less than 5 of these glasses in a bottle.

Regardless of units, 3 bottles works out at just over two glasses per day - which with meals, is regarded as a healthy lifestyle by many.

I think to average 3 bottles of wine each a week is very excessive.

Sounds excessive to me too - especially for wine, I would have thought most wine drinkers enjoyed a glass or two (or three), once or twice a week.

I cant see any way of dividing up 3 bottles of wine a week that doesnt seem excessive, 2 glasses a night with an extra glass for saturday night means someone is drinking every night of the week. 7 or 8 glasses a night on 2 nights of the week is an excessive amount on an individual night. And anything in between seems excessive also.

1 bottle of wine = 10 units of alcohol

Contradiction here. They say 1 x 100cl glass = 1 unit, but go on to say that the average bottle of wine contains 10 units. It doesn't. The average bottle of wine is not 1L it is 750ml.

See? How can you believe anything they say? ;)

Pah!

Regardless of units, 3 bottles works out at just over two glasses per day - which with meals, is regarded as a healthy lifestyle by many.

But that's the thing. It's fine when you paint it like that.

But who does that every day?
Nobody !

In fact most people probably don't drink at all between monday to thursday.
Most of teh drinking occurs on friday and saturday.

Which means to maintain this average you are looking at serious binge drinking - and not be the few but by nearly everybody accross teh board.

I don't believe that is happening.

Even if its only 2 glasses a day and thats not doing much physical harm, I would be extremely concerned about someones psychological attitude to alcohol if they drank every single day.

I haven't seen the report but I assume that the figures quoted are based on the number of bottles purchased V's the number of bottles consumed?.

I would be extremely concerned about someones psychological attitude to alcohol if they drank every single day.

Why? Many French, Spanish, Italians etc drink every day. It's a healthier psychological attitude than bingeing.

What's should be of far more concern to the health other than moderate daily alcohol intake is daily intake of e.g. sodium, saturated fat etc. together with general lack of exercise & essential vitamins/minerals.

I have searched but I have not been able to find the article or news item that started this particular thread - can anyone find it?

If 100 bottles per capita is correct (which I doubt) then we must have had a high performance team on the case [broken link removed].
In 1990 there were 1.5 million cases of wine sold in Ireland. That figure rose to almost five million in 2001 and showed a further 20% rise in the first four months of 2002. The rate for this year is expected to breach six million.

Although still the lowest rate in the EU, the market for table wine in Ireland has more than doubled in the past decade.

On average, Britons drink 29 bottles a year each with that number likely to increase sharply by 2006.

But both Britain and Ireland still lag far behind the world’s biggest drinkers - the French - who consume 79 bottles per head every year.

If 100 bottles per capita is correct (which I doubt) then we must have had a high performance team on the case [broken link removed].

Exactly - I found a HSE report for 1986-2006 which states that in 2006 TOTAL alcohol consumption (ie wine, beers and spirits) per adult per annum was 13.4 litres.

Which is about 18 75cl bottles so a far cry from the 150 mentioned in this thread. I suspect that the original report or the original poster (or both) were wrong!

Ok - i may heave been wrong.

I heard it on teh radio news yesterday twice.

Teh first time i heard it i considered the possibility of mis-hearing it so i listened out for it at the next hourly bulletin to be sure.

and they did say it on teh next hourly bulletin too.

Unfortunately as i only heard it i don't have a text link.

So unless i misheard it twice while listening out for it specifically the second time round?

It's possibel i guess. But unlikely surely?

That said - something definitely doesn't add up given teh french drink only 79 bottles a year i suppose.

Ok -maybe we shoudl abandon thsi thread given that i don't have concrete evidence of teh initial report.

Back