Irish approach to long term ETF investing

Savvy

Apologies if this has been asked previously but I didn't see it in the searches I've done.

I'm interested on thoughts about how an Irish person should be investing long term(specifically pensions) using a buy and sit on ETF(with rebalancing) with as least hassle as possible!!

You often hear the easy US solution to do a three way ETF split between US total stock, Overseas stock and Total Bonds.

I've also seen broadly similar breakdowns for those in the UK, ie split between UK equity, gilts and either a Developed/ex UK+ emerging or just a Total World(not sure if there is a an ex UK version)

So should an Irish person be doing something similar using Euro STOXX or should we have a more fine grained level to our equity investing, ie %US Stock, %FTSE ETF, %EURO STOXX ETF, Emerging + maybe a Japan ETF.

And similarly on the Bond front.

My own thoughts are to do a fine grain investment of ETF by region(US,UK,EURO,Emerging and Japan).

I was considering doing this with a Davy Select wrapper, so ideally I would do this on the LSE to reduce my costs, but then many of these are traded in GBP. So the currency risk is there, although I have read that it's the underlying ETF base currency that really matters.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are?

If there are particular ETF you could recommend I'd be happy to hear them also!!

Back