Ireland v UK: weigh up the pros and cons of returning to the old sod?

Thinfield

I grew up and went to university in Ireland before moving to UK 15 years ago.
Now have wife and young family and starting to seriously weigh up the pros and cons of returning to the old sod?
Has anyone in a similar position recently returned - any thoughts?

I have tried to start with a qualitative analysis of the main considerations and here's what I think so far:

Healthcare: UK
Education: Ireland
Transport: UK
Family Life: Ireland
Crime: Ireland
Outlook on life: Ireland
Facilities (sports, entertainment etc): UK
Salary / Tax: Equal?
Weather: UK (just)

Re: Ireland v UK: Best place to live

Depends on your profession but unless you are in a select band of london hotshots, you will probably find that your net earnings are better here. Also if one of you currently does not work, there is huge opportunities to re-join the workforce.

Salary / tax ? Stamp duty ; is not our rate of 9% excessive compared to uk ? And what about our higher rate of vat ? And vehicle excise duties ? Cost of living here ?

Healthcare: UK
Education: Ireland
Transport: UK
Family Life: Ireland
Crime: Ireland
Outlook on life: Ireland
Facilities (sports, entertainment etc): UK
Weather: UK (just)

I'm from the Uk, now living in Ireland. I'd agree for the most part with this list. We do find the cost of living is higher here, specially house prices and groceries. Education wise, I'd say the kids are getting a far better one here but be prepared for higher costs ie books and the school buildings seems more delapitated, in my experience anyway.

There's a lot of things you can't get here but over time they become more irrelevant (or you just forget about them).

Be prepared for less choice in most things compared to UK.

Depends on your profession but unless you are in a select band of london hotshots, you will probably find that your net earnings are better here. Also if one of you currently does not work, there is huge opportunities to re-join the workforce.

Have to take issue with you there. My wife, who has extensive experience in teaching and IT has been trying to get back into the workforce after spending time at home for the last 10 years or so primarily to raise kids, has found it impossible to get back into employment. She is still the right side of 50 not looking for a CEO job or such i.e. modest enough expectations but has found a lot of age discrimination.

I'm surprised at that. As an employer, I have found the labour market very tight. But perhaps that's just in Dublin? Maybe I'm out of touch with the rest of the country

We moved here 4 years ago - (born in UK to Irish parents). We came over with our 4 children.

I would say it depends on where you live. Comparing rural UK to rural Ireland - would be different to comparing a UK city to a small Irish town. We are living in a rural area in the West - after coming from a large UK city.
Based on personal experience I would say the Health System is no worse than the UK - but that is based on GP visits and a few hospital visits - nothing major. But - I can see that the Irish system is becoming very much a two tier system - more so than the UK.

Education - I would not be so sure that it is better in Ireland. There are no figures to back up any comparisons (The Irish Govt won't allow that!) - so it is difficult to say for sure. But again - based on personal experience I find the system here is very much exam based and the lack of IT is terrible. I also find that the teachers don't seem to be as bothered here - maybe that is because there is no comparison of school results. (I am sure there are many good teachers - but I am basing this on my personal experience)
A lot of the "problems" in Ireland are because people are more laid back here - which is a good thing I think - but sometimes that allows bad practices to continue unchallenged for years. Look at the provisional licence fiasco where unqualified drivers can drive without fear of prosecution because the Garda can't be bothered.

Cost of living in Ireland is not as bad as people make out. No Council Tax, no water rates, higher Child Benefits. Income tax is lower here for many people here than in the UK. Min wage is higher too. Petrol is cheaper.

People are generally more friendly here... talk to a stranger in the UK and you mostly will just get silence and a strange look.

Rural transport is pretty poor here - but I don't know if it is as bad in the UK.

That's my thoughts anyway...

Salary & Tax are much better in Ireland.

I've a couple of UK born friends who after living in Ireland for several years, returned to the UK (for family reasons). Both to different parts of the UK - one London area, other the Midlands. I also have a friend who's recently moved back to Ireland after several years in north of England.

Experience of all is that salaries in Ireland are a lot higher. Also, people with similar qualifications/experience will get higher level jobs in Ireland thus making the salary gap even bigger. Friend who moved to London area got a higher level job on return, but salary was lower than previous job in Ireland. Friend who moved to Midlands has struggled badly - only work available is in lower level jobs with much less pay. Friend who moved the other way i.e. from UK to Ireland, is now comfortable in a much better paid job - had been struggling in north of England.

I regularly visit different parts of England. One thing that strikes you is the growing gap between the greater London area and the North/Midlands. London appears to be fairing ok. However, the North/Midlands has collapsed. Jobs seem to be in very short supply, property prices are very low (reflecting low incomes), unemployment high etc. In spite of plus of having lower house prices, the quality of life in North/Midlands is getting poorer.

Take a trip to a couple of cities in north of England and then to a couple of cities in eastern Europe and you'll find it difficult to spot the difference nowdays (including property prices).

Ireland is a lot less hierarchical and is noticeably less formal than the UK. People are on the whole more approachable and affable, tho I think this is a terrible generalisation and there can be startling good and bad in both places.

I know that commuting every morning into town might give a different impression, but I think the fact that the entire population of the country is comparable to that of the area in and around Manchester area says a lot. There are fewer people here and this shows in a variety of ways, good and bad.

I agree that there is less choice here and I think there is a slightly worrying trend that Ireland is increasingly seen as an adjunct to the UK - it being geographically more logical to lump it in with the UK when it comes to distribution/services/language. This has homogenised Ireland a lot, even in the last 15years, but hasn't vastly increased choice like it might have in the UK. Ireland still retains a lot of its quirkyness, but there is now a lot more comparing like-with-like (maybe its like this all across Europe?)

I wouldn't move to the UK now, but similarly I believe the quality of life in Ireland - particularly in the Dublin area - is on the wane, so the future might see that spread out and cause this to become a less attractive place?

I currently live in Leeds (one of the better cities in the North). One of the main considerations for me is the outlook on life that is likely to be imparted to my children. I feel the UK tends to exude a rather tired, inward-looking attitude. Ambition seems to be restricted by peoples ingrained view of their place (class?).

I think Ireland has had a more optimistic outlook, more outward-looking (perhaps because it is a small country?) but I am concerned at the extend to which consumerism and celebrity-worshipping are taking hold. I also cannot stand how much the written media seem hell bent on "out-sensationalising" their UK counterparts (e.g. the hysterical response to recent sporting setbacks).

I would like to think there are places, beyond the pale, that have the right balance?

Social insurance rates:

UK = 11%

IRL = 6% up to 48,800, 2% above, with first 127 pw free of PRSI

I'm from the Uk, now living in Ireland. I'd agree for the most part with this list. We do find the cost of living is higher here, specially house prices and groceries.
And the cost of cars ? Because of the lack of public transport cars are essential for many Irish people in order to get to work etc. A car which is 20,000 euro in the UK can be 40,000 euro here.

Maybe if things are better economically in Ireland now , we should at least consider repaying SOME of the billions of pounds we got from the UK over the decades, through the EC.

Social insurance rates:

UK = 11%

I'm curious as to where you got that figure from? UK NI Contribution calculations are fairly complex.

I think the fact that this topic, in which the OP listed 9 main points of interest, was moved to "The Great Financial Debates" speaks volumes.

Not all quality of life issues are financial.

Also, I think the OP's question is too broad to answer fully as we don't know whether he's considering moving from a city to a city, from rural to rural or any variation thereof. But in the spirit of broad generalisations, I'd say overall quality of life is better here. I'd base that on: social interaction, education, safety, in some ways facilities and the fact that in general, people here are just more cheerful & pleasant to be around.

I was born in Ireland and tried to move back there in 2001, but I can honestly say that I have no regrets in not moving back. Since moving to the UK over 40 years ago, Ireland was a safe place to live and people generally looked out for each other, compared to nowadays when people are obsessed with property prices (not saying that is not the case in the UK) but when I go back to visit Ireland all that you hear is what the property prices are in the UK and it comes across that people have got very materialist, which used not to be case in Ireland.

Overall I prefer where I am residing in the UK and would not moved back to Ireland now that I am older. I would be worry that I would need to have medical attention and I would find a two tier system difficult to contend with. Also, if I were to move back to Ireland now it would be a completely different generation, as all the people that I grew up with are not there anymore.

Teapot

A bit abstract/subjective probably, but for me a quality of life factor is the overall town planning/architecture feel.

Whilst Irish planning obviously leaves a lot to be desired, I've found at least, for better or for worse, that Irish towns/cities generally have their own character or atmosphere.

Maybe I'm open to correction, but for me, UK cities (with some obvious exceptions) tend to be more charmless, or even bleak. There tends to be a depressing homogeniety of design/layout etc: Many main streets in e.g. Carlisle, Wolverhampton or Bristol can be indistinguishable.

Obviously this has sprung from synchronised relative efficiency - but I have to say it brings me down a bit.

I've never lived in the UK so can't compare the two.

I've just come back from a week in Manhattan and as a very shallow / general impression, I may as well have been in Dublin except for the skyscrapers and it was a lot cheaper. A melting pot full of people rushing around earning money, Macy's was FULL of Irish people.

Ireland has become very materialistic. However it's up to everyone here how much they 'buy' into the whole consumerism thing. Personally I think it's crazy but just a symptom of our economic bubble - new wealth is brash. There are great opportunities here at the moment too.

I think the dreadful planning and corruption is a greater problem here which would impact lifestyle and families. Also I have heard the viewpoint that Ireland is more American in some ways including the healthcare system going two tier and I think that would be a very bad thing for families.

Ireland has become very materialistic.

Hi there,
Mr Bear and I are an average mid thirties couple - up to our eyes in mortgage debt! To say Ireland is very materialistic is quite a broad statement that you cannot apply to all.
To be honest I have lived in Dublin for the past 16 years and I have grown to love it - when I moved here Dublin was a grim smoggy place, I was a cultchie who was taking someones job! Today Dublin is mulicultural without loosing its identity, it is cleaner and there is more variety in shops..
I have not lived in the UK, but I do have family in Guernsey and it is really lovely - it would be the only part of the UK I would live in..
P:)

Back