Investment Property In Derry

The Badger

Hi

Considering investing in property in Derry City, Property Prices have being very buoyant there for the last few years, Know city well think its could be up and coming

I will have guaranteed tenants, which I can trust for 5-10 years if it goes ahead.

Thinking 2 to 3 bedroom house in good area will be putting in about 100K Sterling myself and raise the rest from bank.

Any thoughts, Property market in North? Any thing should consider about tax CGT etc.? Areas to buy? To get mortgage in south or north? Prices to pay etc........

Thanks
B

Northern property has been extremely bouyant these past few years - a lot of that was bringing it into line with the rest of the UK. How much more there is left I don't know, but maybe not as much as other's think. Every man and his dog is currently an investor, which leads one to think that certainly the bargains are long gone, you have to look at rental yield and the north's economy as a whole.
Rent is generally paid by the DHSS who are keen to transfer the provision of housing entirely to the private sector. However they don't pay a lot - from my knowledge, a 3 bedroom semi will get about £400 a month (at least in a provincial town a little smaller in Derry, not sure if they adjust the rent for the location - they may not).
As you know Derry you'll know what the rental market is like there anyway.
Re the North as a whole the biggest problem is over-reliance on the public sector, something like 40% of the economy is dependant on this, one of the bank chairmen was commenting on that as a problem last week.
For mortgage, I don't know that you can get a mortgage on a property outside of this jurisdiction, possibly, but it may just be on equity in your own property. Interest rates are obviously lower here, but then you'd be exposed to forex fluctuations.
CGT would b payable here at the normal rate, income tax likewise - you'd have to check the double tax agreement re credits given between here and UK on rental income, also you'd have to ascertain the situation with regards deductability of mortgage interest from UK rental property etc.
In general, whilst I would'nt put someone off the idea, i would caution that imo the best deals are long gone and it's up to you decide if the area you have your eye on represents value (please note that i'm also very bearish on free state property at the minute, so i'm probably a bit biased!!) Good luck.

Thanks Glenboy !
I agree with most of what u say , There are personal reasons why investing here and this is why I would have Guar Rent for 5-10 years not DHSS but with tenants I can trust to look after the place with no -hassle I'm sure we can agree rent that we cover my outgoings, this obv is a major plus for me to invest here.
My main worrry is as you say has the property price reached its peak in Derry I have a property in Dublin and am already selling that since think it can't go much higher here and I have made my few quid. Has Derry had the same growth or is it still a few years behind Dublin?

Has Derry had the same growth or is it still a few years behind Dublin?
Hard to know exactly, I don't know the Derry market overly well, but I do know Co. Derry pretty well, I know that my sister sold a 4 bedroom house in Magherafelt for 55k in 1999, that'd be worth circa 150K now. I also know someone who bought a semi about 15 miles from Derry for 65K in 2004, she has just sold it for 115K (rent was less than 400 per month) and getting tenants was hassle (it was a country area). I also know a few seasoned property investors who feel that with rents being so poor relatively that they're going to stay out of the market for a while, alternately, I know many people who reckon that it'll keep on going up (and most of these guys are in the building industry, so should have an idea as to how things are on the ground - i remain unconvinced). If you can agree rent that'll cover the costs, it may well be worth going for, from what I hear, that's generally not the case.
Check this link, it's not local to Derry but i think the issues are similar and these are the reasons why people think the market will only increase (in my opinion they forget how poor NI salaries are).

I'm sure you have this covered but some toens in the North will be taking a major hit as Army bases are closed. Ballykelly being a good example.

I'm sure you have this covered but some toens in the North will be taking a major hit as Army bases are closed. Ballykelly being a good example.
More of a godsend really, and that's not just from an emotional p.o.v.
Bases such as this one were totally enclosed, it was basically a fenced off village, with it's own schools, shops etc. Obviously the occupants had to shop in the bigger local towns such as Limavady for their 'weekly shopping', clothes etc, but the few pound that a squaddie gets does'nt stretch too far. Limavady actually had the highest capital appreciation of any town in the the UK last year (so not too many negatives there). In addition, whilst it might be controversial, the fact is that having an army base of that size leads to anti-social problems that don't normally exist in rural NI, let's face it, Britsh squaddies (and their spouses and offspring) are'nt exactly the most socially desireable of groupings.

What about all the businesses that supply the base with food etc and the civilian workers from the locality? Limavady has one major employer beside it and a few nearby so one decision by a beancounter in America could cause things to go pear-shaped. Things are looking good for the area though with the expansion of the Airport.

Cheers for the comments a lot of the bases in Derry have being closed for some time now and the effect on Derry economy has not being negative in fact since cease fire and closing of bases etc.. There has being massive development in Derry, just look at the City Side along the Foyle banks for example etc. new hotels retail parks gyms apartments offices etc..
The ending of troubles and closing of bases as a result has being positive for the city, its image and its economy IMO

What about all the businesses that supply the base with food etc and the civilian workers from the locality?
In all honesty the people who worked in bases did not normally come from the locality, re the supply of food etc it was probably airlifted in, as Badger says, things have only improved with the reduction in troops etc.

ClubMan said:
Not to mention the local DIY and fertiliser outlets in times past! :eek:
The sale of large diameter copper pipe has dropped off as well...

Back