Investment in Germany

[broken link removed]

Fortress are selling via ipo 40% of their German property portfolio according to the above link.

latest offering on [broken link removed]
med centre in berlin

Augusta had a ad in the Times y'day which seems to be the same offer as in July? Nursing homes in Berlin and Hannover. Means they didn't raise the funds? Bad sign?

there are a couple of properties for sale in Germany (seem to be very cheap ?!) at Strettons auction on 20 November that look interesting being held in London. have a look at www.strettons.co.uk

on today's Sunday times business section it said that agusta did raise the funds.. i recycled that section now so maybe somebody could double check.,but i am sure the article was positive and money had been raised

There's no 25% tax on rental income in Germany. Income tax brackets depend on your annual income and go from 15% to over 40%.

The fact Germany has the lowest construction rate in Europe is not bad, it's positive for investors! It means in 5+ years there'll be a shortage of property in popular areas. Some cities are actually growing in population (incl. Berlin, Leipzig, etc), Berlin also has a high immigration rate. Whats even more important though, for a property investor, is the fact number of households is rising fast in Germany (as increasingly the trend is for small 1-2 people households).

Affordability in Germany is best in Europe; incomes are about 5-6 times higher than in CEE, but property prices are in fact lower in most of Germany, compared to main cities in the EU accession states!

I've invested in Germany and trying to buy more, although it's not as easy now to get high yield on good product, due to competition of international as well as (to a little lesser extent) german investors buying up apt blocks (especially in Berlin). Prices in good areas have actually risen quite a bit since mid 2005, although still very low.

I agree you need to research well, as there are significant regional differences, and understand all aspects of laws & regulations, tenant rights & rental caps, tax, etc. But, this applies to any market one invests. Sadly, most so called investors just don't do it.

There's no 25% tax on rental income in Germany. Income tax brackets depend on your annual income and go from 15% to over 40%.

The fact Germany has the lowest construction rate in Europe is not bad, it's positive for investors! It means in 5+ years there'll be a shortage of property in popular areas. Some cities are actually growing in population (incl. Berlin, Leipzig, etc), Berlin also has a high immigration rate.

Construction has picked up in Germany in the last 12 months or so.

Nonetheless, as you mentioned, some cities in the east are growing in population but in the former East there was rapid depopulation after reunification, most cities still have far below their 1989 populations and there is still plenty of excess capacity.

Back