Invalid health insurance & large hospital bill.

+1 csirl. 60K is nothing in costs of the running of a hospital, but could take 10 years+ for the average family to replay.

There is a practical issue here. The private hospitals will have to simply refuse to take emergency cases. They can't wait for the VHI to check the claim before admitting the patient. That is why I suggested splitting it three ways if the person can't afford it.
They can get around this practical problem by ensuring that cover is in place very quickly, over a few days - before large bills have been run up. Coming up with a €60k bill after three months is very unprofessional practice by the hospital.

Why is the policy cancelled if you dont live in Ireland?
I thought one of the EU Treaties covered this kind of thing?
Was it the Nice Treaty that said we could go to Holland buy a car, drive to France for Insurance and take the Ferry back to Ireland?

I believe, the VHI have limit of 180 days out of the country for cover, unless you take out one of the extra travel options. I am making the assumption that the person is young and travelling or a student abroad and the condition may have started while away. The insurance company have 'learned' this and are now not covering the bill. I know St. James often have young 'foreign nationals' admitted, who want of a better word have lost it. They take them in, try and findout who they are and to contact the parents to bring them home.

+1 csirl. 60K is nothing in costs of the running of a hospital, but could take 10 years+ for the average family to replay.

They can get around this practical problem by ensuring that cover is in place very quickly, over a few days - before large bills have been run up. Coming up with a €60k bill after three months is very unprofessional practice by the hospital.
I agree with you both.

If the hospital push the issue and it goes to court, they will be on very shaky ground and in all probability loose.

Thanks for all the further replies. The VHI has been mentioned several times and I wish to State that this is not the company in question.

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I think that i will delete the details of my OP as I have passed all the information on.

Kind regards

Back