Interview with a small magazine - attire

Hi Calico,
You would get away with business casual with a tie - but if you want to make a good impression then go with the suit. I dont think a suit = a square. They will make an impression based on your personality also!

It really depends on yourself - if you feel a suit is overkill then more casual may be order of the day - but overall I think you cant beat a good suit for a good first impression.

Could you dress down your full suit (with a more casual shirt/tie)?

Just my 2 cents.

There is nothing square about wearing a suit, I think it depends more what kind of suit it is and what kind of accessories/shirt/shoes you wear. I think a suit is fine but it can look relaxed as well if that's what you would be more comfortable with. If the suit really does look very formal I would either wear a less formal suit or go smart casual.

Ring reception and ask them what the dress code of the company is.... For an interview always dress more formal than less as a rule.

A suit gives the impression you're treating the process seriously and with respect.

Conversely, dressing down MAY convey the impression that you're casual in your approach to everything.

Neither of these impressions might relate to the company you're doing the interview with but, on balance, the best way of minmimising risk is to lean towards the formal.

too much of a 'square' for the job

if anyone says anything, or appears to take issue with the suit, turn to them and say 'In the immortal words of Heuy Lewis and the News, it's hip to be square'.

Hi Calico,

I run an office in Dublin that's based around the media and am in charge of hiring people for the office. While the office dress code is v casual, I would expect anyone coming for an interview to wear a suit and tie. May sound funny / like a double standard, but it shows you made the effort and are treating the interview seriously.

I know you had decided to wear a suit in any event, but thought you might like to know that you've made the right decision.

Best of luck with the interview.

Streamer

Hmm, I chopped and changed on this one but wore the suit in the end even if I did look (felt?) like a prat.

Anyway, it was definitely the right decision. It was all quite formal with zero banter so I was glad I wasn't under-dressed.

well done - its always much easier to carry off being overdressed than under dressed!!!

hope you get the job.

Back