Insuring Japanese Imports - Have Companies stopped this

IrishGunner

Father trying to insure his Honda Hybrid car that is a Japanese import

it was approx €400 last year under my mothers name. Unfortunately my mother no longer with us and dad had to get insurance under his own name, he was named driver, but does have 20+ years prior to that

He rang around a few companies and was told by some that they don't insure Japanese Imports? Is this the case as seems unfair

His cheapest quote is €700+ and some have quoted €1k but not sure if that's also due to his age 80+

Any suggestions ?

The AA insures Jap cars. They insure my honda hybrid I brought in from Japan.
His age might be an issue with no, no claims in his name.
I came back to ireland, so had no, no claims in my name and that was the biggest issue. I had named driver experience, but that seemed to make no real difference to anyone.

The numbers €700-1,000 plus sound about right. I paid just over 1k for my first year. It drops a lot after that but it is painful to pay.

Imports have a troublesome history with replacement parts, most main dealers either refuse order the part, or will look for full payment first.

Insurance companies have a tougher gig on their hands when there a claim relating to these imports. Parts availability, leading to extra car hire costs etc, and, a lot of the earlier models don't have an Engine immobilizer which sees them as easy targets to steel.

I'm more surprised that some insurance companies still take on the risk.

Imports have a troublesome history with replacement parts, most main dealers either refuse order the part, or will look for full payment first.

Insurance companies have a tougher gig on their hands when there a claim relating to these imports. Parts availability, leading to extra car hire costs etc, and, a lot of the earlier models don't have an Engine immobilizer which sees them as easy targets to steel.

I have found non of this to be true. Japanese car are fitted out to a better standard than the EU cars and the parts are interchangeable. My insurance is cheaper with the Japanese import than it is with a EU hybrid, same size engine and value.

Might have been true over 20 years ago but now now.

A series of myths being perpetuated by greedy insurance companies and the main stealers, none of them true.

A series of myths being perpetuated by greedy insurance companies and the main stealers,

Ah, stop with that nonsense

It has nothing to do with "Greedy insurers" its not uncommon for the insurer to write the car off such is the problem with imports, then the car buyer can have second-hand parts fitted from the local scrapyard, there's a better chance of obtaining the replacement parts.

Insurance companies are trying to streamline, automate, simplify their processes as much as possible.
They don't want to deal with 'awkward', if there's anything non-standard about the risk, they don't want the hassle so price accordingly.

Also, I think the age rating is on a curve, and over 80 (or maybe 82) you start to get age loading.
You can try out the quote websites and see what happens your premium as you go from 80 to 82 to 85 etc

His age might be an issue with no, no claims in his name.
I came back to ireland, so had no, no claims in my name and that was the biggest issue.
I don't understand "no, no claims".
I presume it's a typo but can't figure out what you actually mean?
Having no claims is generally a good, not a bad thing, when it comes to getting insurance.

Insurance companies are trying to streamline, automate, simplify their processes as much as possible.
They don't want to deal with 'awkward', if there's anything non-standard about the risk, they don't want the hassle so price accordingly.

Also, I think the age rating is on a curve, and over 80 (or maybe 82) you start to get age loading.
You can try out the quote websites and see what happens your premium as you go from 80 to 82 to 85 etc
I also find that playing with the details (honestly!) can make a difference - e.g. adding one or more named drivers can reduce the premium significantly with some insurers. Of course, it can have the opposite effect with others.

I don't understand "no, no claims".
I presume it's a typo but can't figure out what you actually mean?
Having no claims is generally a good, not a bad thing, when it comes to getting insurance.
I think it means no 'no claims bonus'. Autocorrect probably flags repeated words. I think he means as a named driver he wouldn't have a ' no claims' history in his own name.

I think it means no 'no claims bonus'. Autocorrect probably flags repeated words. I think he means as a named driver he wouldn't have a ' no claims' history in his own name.
Thanks. That makes sense but I never thought of it myself! ;)

Back