Insuring a second car

60watt

Hi,

My mother owns a 2017 car but due to illness she no longer drives.
She would like to transfer ownership of this car to me
I will use it to bring my elderly parents to the shops, appointments etc. because they find it more spacious than my small car.
I already own a car which I use for social and domestic use

What's the cheapest way to ensure this second car once its transferred to me ?

Thanks

What's the cheapest way to ensure this second car once its transferred to me ?
The usual way. Shop around for the best quote for your needs. Check your current insurer to see what might be involved in adding a second car to your existing policy.

As above plus consider:

Leaving the car in your mother's name if she is still insured and adding a "driving other cars" extension to your own policy. All perfectly legal nothing underhanded here.

Last edited:
As above plus consider:

Leaving the car in your mother's name if she is still insured and add a "driving other cars" extension to your own policy. All perfectly legal nothing underhanded here.
Or put your name on her policy - usually no extra cost and sometimes even results in a premium drop.

Your current policy probably insures you to drive other (insured) cars on 3rd party cover, just check. So if you don't transfer ownership, you could just drive it.

As above plus consider:

Leaving the car in your mother's name if she is still insured and adding a "driving other cars" extension to your own policy. All perfectly legal nothing underhanded here.
Doesn't such a clause usually only give third party cover on the "other" car?
Just mentioning it in case it's relevant to the OP that comprehensive (or even fire and theft?) cover may not extend to the other car.

I had the same problem myself a couple of years back. All the insurance companies were treating the second car as a first timer with zero ncb - 1. 8k was the cheapest quote. I managed to get around this by mirroring my ncb from my own car to the second car and hey presto 500€ to insure the car in my own name with my wife as a named driver as well (she has her own car)...only discovered this through an insurance broker... Wasn't the first broker either!

similar situation a couple of years back. My own policy covered me to drive any other insured car fully comp with owners owners permission

I also happened to be a named driver on my mothers car from years back.

Either of above are easiest and cheapest with no need to transfer ownership

What exactly do you mean by "mirroring" here?
As you would say "Would you not Google it to find out";)

Have to admit I've never heard of it before and was told many years ago that a person can only have one NCB which can only be applied to one car which is why when I had two cars I had to put them both on the company policy

Anyhow a quick google search provided this
https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/2nd...ms discount means,from one vehicle to another.
Although an UK broker it explains what "mirroring" is

What exactly do you mean by "mirroring" here?
Hi Clubman

I had 10+ years no claims bonus driving. I purchased a second car and assumed that I would be treated as an experienced driver and my new insurance for second car would be the same as car A but I was being treated as a first time driver with zero ncb. The broker I was dealing with knew that the insurance company who insured car A would insure car B and give me full ncb credit from car A and transfer it to car B.
Most brokers were not aware of this. I've ended up giving them all my insurance needs... House, cars, land etc

Hi Clubman

I had 10+ years no claims bonus driving. I purchased a second car and assumed that I would be treated as an experienced driver and my new insurance for second car would be the same as car A but I was being treated as a first time driver with zero ncb. The broker I was dealing with knew that the insurance company who insured car A would insure car B and give me full ncb credit from car A and transfer it to car B.
Most brokers were not aware of this. I've ended up giving them all my insurance needs... House, cars, land etc
Thanks for the explanation.

If she's never driving then wouldn't this be effectively or actually "fronting"?
I need to read posts properly :D

If she is unable to drive for medical reasons, then she would not be able to take insurance in the first place.
Best option is to have the car transferred to you and for you to use it as your primary car and sell your own car.

Second policy on a 2nd car (or if you have a van as well as a car) requires as totally new policy starting from scratch (as per Bluefin), so may give you 2 years bonus NCB for having full NCB on a current policy.

Back