Motor insurance for young driver

reddanmm

Hello hoping someone can help me on this. Myself and my husband own a car each,my husband is registered owner on 2 cars i am the main insured person on one of the cars and named driver on the other (if that make sense).

My daughter who is 18 has been given a car and the cost of insurance for her is astronomical so my question is , is there any way she could go as name driver on this car with me or her dad as main driver

Thanks in advance

AFAIK they will know that she is the main driver and apply the same rates along with the fact that she won't be earning any bonus in her own name.

You also need to be careful with the 'accompanied by a full licence holder' clause. Not sure about other companies but AXA have confirmed that no insurance will be in place if our daughter is driving on her own with her learner driver permit.

Thanks sue ellen i think it might be best to change my insurance to Aviva and avail of the young drivers scheme

AFAIK they will know that she is the main driver and apply the same rates along with the fact that she won't be earning any bonus in her own name.

You also need to be careful with the 'accompanied by a full licence holder' clause. Not sure about other companies but AXA have confirmed that no insurance will be in place if our daughter is driving on her own with her learner driver permit.

Really. Did they give you that in writing?
Our son is almost 17 and itching to get driving..our biggest problem is that we have one car and it's a 2l engine so by all accounts it would be cheaper to buy a 1l older car and have him named on that (not going to happen!)...think he will have lessons until he turns 18 and then figure out what to do..

As well as the accompanied driver issue, insurance companies have tightened up on fronting policies (Fronting is where a parent uses their no claim bonus to insure a childs car) and will cancel a policy if they believe this is the case. It would probably be better in the long run if you get them to do their test as quickly as possible and get some driving experience as a named driver.

The Aviva young driver scheme is very good, you pay for the compulsory lessons upfront and get 6 months free accompanied cover for your learner driver, ensure they are always accompanied. It got my son motoring at a reasonable price, in our case we bought a 2nd car for less than €1000, registered it in his mums name and had him as a named driver, mum is also insured with Aviva so they know she is the registered owner of two cars and can use either one she wishes.

We did use another local instructor for two pre tests which were invaluable, the Son now has his full licence, it worked well for us, as reasonable as it could be but still about €800 or thereabouts when you factor in licence, lessons, and so on but not the car, that was the cost assuming they get their test first time.

Really. Did they give you that in writing?

Glossy leaflet received with renewal notice states and refers to new policy document which is available on-line or request a copy if necessary:

The following condition applies to your policy from renewal on or after 11 November, 2012:

13. Driving Licence Conditions

No cover will apply under this policy for any driver who is not meeting the conditions of his/her licence/learner permit. This includes conditions relating to the class of vehicle being driven, the requirement to be accompanied when driving under a learner permit or any other restriction or condition that may apply.

Back