Insurance for long-term car swap?

M

mrbongo

I'm planning on doing a house swap with someone in the States for a few months, a common enough practice these days. As part of the deal we'll be swapping cars too. So I checked with my insurance broker if I could put the US guy as a named driver on the insurance and he said yes, but for a max of 30 days (and for a fee of 50 euro).

Anyone know if this is a typical restriction or have any suggestions on how I can get this guy insured (cheaply if possible) on my car for 3 to 4 months??

Cheers,
Mike

out him on , on a permenant basis, rather than for a short term basis, then at the most convenient renewal date, simply drop him.

out him on , on a permenant basis, rather than for a short term basis, then at the most convenient renewal date, simply drop him.

Problem with Americans is the licence they hold (majority) is for automatics, its recognised as a provisional here hence why the 30 day cover.

Yeah automatic licence for the most part in the US.

I guess it depends on the insurance company, some are more picky than others. I think our insurance broker may be giving us the standard line - only 30 days - but the insurer themselves (Allianz) might have different rules, I'm going to check with them today.

Thanks for the replies

Back