Motor Insurance claim for stolen car?

TillyD

Hi,

My car was stolen over three weeks ago and still no word from the ins company on a pay out. My uncle is changing his car and is willing to sell it to me, slightly cheaper than we'd buy in the garage and he'll also get a better deal as a cash buyer. We have money to buy this car without waiting on our claim to come through.

My question is, if I take this car will it be harder to negotiate with my insurance company because I've replaced my stolen car with a car that will be a lot cheaper than the car that was stolen. At the moment, I am paying for a rental car out of my own pocket and I would really love to sort something out but not at the cost of the insurance paying me less for the car that was stolen.

Any advice?

I think its 4 weeks before they settle a stolen car claim.As for your main point,I can't see how the insurance assessor would even be bothered with what you are now driving.You might however have a shock at what he offers you for the stolen car.
Have plenty of evidence of the price of similar cars to yours from carzone or beepbeep.

phone em, phone em and phone em. If you are dealing with a broker, persecute him until your claim is resolved. If dealing direct, then you can have problems as a different satff member can deal with call each time - write to claim manager and demand reply within 10 days. follow up in 10 days.

I think its 4 weeks before they settle a stolen car claim.As for your main point,I can't see how the insurance assessor would even be bothered with what you are now driving.You might however have a shock at what he offers you for the stolen car.
Have plenty of evidence of the price of similar cars to yours from carzone or beepbeep.

I'm dreading what he might offer. I know it will come in low and I am prepared to battle my case. This is why I want to go ahead and buy another car because I can't see things being settled anytime soon and I am spending a fortune on a rental car. I'm just weary that buying another car at a much lower price will go against me.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Buying another car won't 'go against you'. You have suffered the loss on the stolen car and the insurer won't care what you do with the cheque. You can put it all on a grey horse in the first race for all they care.

One point to note however, is that insurers can insist on you taking out a new policy on the replacement car, treating the premium paid on the 'old' policy as spent once they draw the cheque for the lost car.

A garage as told me, that if I buy another car and my own stolen car turns up then I will be left with both cars. So looks like I'll have to hold off on buying another car, while I pay a small fortune on car rental and paying the damn broker €40 every two weeks to extend my cover!!

Usually a company will consider a vehicle lost if it doesn't turn up within 30 days, so if its after that time you'll be safe enough in replacing it. To get an idea of what value to expect, log on to the likes of , look for a similar car to yours that is for sale privately (not through a garage as they add their own commission that an insurer won't cover). If the company don't offer somewthing similar, stand your ground until they explain why & show them what you've found online.
Admin fee's that high for temp changes could only be from the likes of 123. Don't confuse them with a broker, their a tied agent of RSA insurance. IF you're not getting any joy from 123 you should phone RSA directly. Best of luck.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Slightly off-topic but why are you paying for a rental car? Is that not covered by your insurance?

In a lot of cases it is only covered when a car is to be repaired. And at that it depends on whether you have that option under your cover.

Interesting. I was offered it immediately by Axa when my car was stolen a few years ago, which is why I asked. Thought it was a standard thing since it stands to reason that if your car is stolen you may still need a way to get around.

Jimbobp, thank you for that website, I will check it out now.

They covered a rental car for 5 days and they also wanted €40 for admin fees for those 5 days. I was so annoyed I paid €50 to the car rental company to cover me for the 5 days. When I had to get cover again for a different car they charged me €40 again for admin fees for changes to the policy. I rang to complain today. I am with them 10 years!

Its 27 days since my car has been robbed. The insurance company said they would be back today or tomorrow with an offer, I will be very surprised if I accept it from what I am hearing, this is why I want to know if we can go ahead and buy a car. I did email them asking this question but they answered everything but the question about buying another car.

Just to update, after speaking to a supervisior with my ins broker today they said they wouldn't charge me another €40.

And the company I am insured with rang back with an offer that has pleasantly surprised us so we'll go with that.

not all insurers are evil!!

It seems not but they get such bad coverage, everyone from people on the street to the car dealers said they'd come in low and to fight hard. They give me well above the book value and more or less the same for what our car is selling for on the likes of carzone beepbeep etc.

Back