Home Insurance canceled

JPKY

I would really appreciate some advice on how to deal with a particular situation with AVIVA.
I have had a home insurance policy with them since April 2010.

The policy was up for renewal in April just gone. I check the details and noticed some errors. I called them to rectify.

One issue I had was with the window locks. They said these must be key operated. I explained that the property has sash windows with a traditional sash lock, but not a key lock. I never got an answer back on this point but I would assume by their silence that if I ever went to make a claim, I wouldn’t be covered.
They also told me that I should have a three Lever Mortise Dead Lock on the front door. I told them that I don’t and never had! Again I heard nothing for a few days.
Then I checked my bank account and noticed that they have taken 2 payments this month (not the first time they’ve done this). Still can’t get an answer from them on this!
Then, the icing! Just got this email:
“We wish to advise you that as the main door doesn't have Three Lever Mortise Dead Locks, this property doesn't meet our underwriting criteria, hence will be cancelled from inception and a full refund will be processed shortly.”
I just called them and they told me that they cancelled my cover on the 10th of May and they never told me!
What the!!!?

I was required to have a five lever mortice lock on my door which I duly changed anyway as we only had a 2 lever on the back door which isn't much use. TBH I think their request for outer doors to have this is a fair one. I asked for clarification on the windows and the said as long as there is a inner locking system on the 'accessable' windows they are happy. We have the old double glazing which has a snap-in inner lever which is OK.

If you have NOT had any claim since 2010, then you have a decent refund of premium. Downside, is that you will have to tell any future insurer that policy was cancelled adn that may load your policy.

I'd suggest you contact a broker

Back