Inheritance: Distribution/Liquidation of Shares

suzie

Hi all,

While I know specific discussion of shares is not allowed, my query relates to inheritance of Glanbia shares. If this query is deemed to break said rule(s) by all means delete the thread.

An inheritance in the extended family is being split between the benefactors. The Glanbia shares form part of the estate and as such these need to be liquidated/sold so their value can be split between benefactors.

Glanbia has recently sent out documentation about their "Share Cancellation Programme". To be honest even after reading this I'm still unsure of its purpose, but seeing these shares need to be sold, is this something the executor should consider/leverage?

Cheers
S.

Hi suzie

Just to clarify the posting guideline. We don't allow speculation about whether a share is good value or not. But we have no problem with discussing the mechanics of rights issues, cancellations etc. as these are hard to understand.

I can't find anything online about their share cancellation programme. As a good general guide, the share price today reflects the impact of any future transaction like this. So, I think you are better off just selling the shares and distributing the cash.

How much are the shares worth? If it's a lot e.g. €30k or more, you might investigate further.

If one of the beneficiaries wants the shares, you could transfer them to that person and reduce the amount of cash that they receive. Although this could be messy if the share price rises or falls significantly.

Brendan

Back