Independent AVC Advice

evil_g

Hi. Apologies if this has been asked before, but I've searched and can't find it.

Could anyone recommend an independent advisor on AVCs, for public sector employees?

My wife is a primary teacher, and I work for a commercial semi-state. She's taken some unpaid leave, and will be job sharing for the next few years, so we'd like to make up for this with AVCs so she has the option to retire early. I have 16 years pensionable service and would reach forty years at age 64. I too would like to have the option to retire early (or at least not be forced to work past 65 if the terms of my pension are changed).

We've met with Cornmarket, who were okay, but couldn't offer me any advice, or view our situation jointly. I'm not in a union. I'd be happy to pay a few hundred quid for independent advice for the pair of us.

Last edited:
I have found this company very helpful

Thanks they were the first hit when I googled it, and they look like what I need, but good to have independent endorsement.

Why not start by posting your queries here to get some opinions before you get professional advice if you so choose?

I kind of want a lot of back and forth about assumptions and alternatives. e.g. "well plan A might be to retire together in our early sixties, but 20 years is a long time and what if.....", "my scheme is a coordinated scheme, I expect that I won't be entitled to the state contributory pension until I'm considerably older than 65/66, can AVCs protect me against this?", et.c

I have used PSRA and overall they were good to a point. The guy I was with knew the Public Service Pension scheme inside out and could quickly calculate figures.

It was a fairly expensive hour and I was disappointed that I was left with some rough scribblings on a sheet of paper that were not easy to decipher!

I think if you are going to book someone like PSRA make sure you have some pension literacy and have a list of questions written out in front of you.

There are some excellent people on here who would give very good answers to your questions.

I expected to have some sort of pension plan after my consultation but it was more about a list of options with some of the pros and cons.

Best of luck

Back