Health Insurance Increasing cover on Parents in law’s Simply Connect policy?

rivtre

Hi there, a good few years ago I got great advice here for insurance for my own parents and later my parents in law; they subsequently moved to Laya’s Simply connect policy.
In the past year, my father in law underwent treatment for cancer via the Beacon hospital and has just gotten the all clear, t.g.
Although a lot was covered under his current policy, he still had quite a substantial amount to pay out, eg scans, consultants etc.
His renewal is now due and he is anxious, I think, to look at other policies to see if there could be a reasonable increase in cover with his recent history in mind.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, again!
Kind regards

His renewal is now due and he is anxious, I think, to look at other policies to see if there could be a reasonable increase in cover with his recent history in mind.

Presumably you mean to increase his (what VHI call day-to-day cover, sorry I don't know what Laya call this cover) cover for daily medical expenses rather than his hospital stay cover? If he wanted to increase his hospital stay cover the Upgrade Rule would apply and therefore cause a delay of 2 years for the new cover to kick in.

VHI changed the rules with increasing a member's day-to-day cover from approx. Dec/Jan last and the higher cover now kicks in immediately after renewal. It used to be 26 weeks waiting period for the higher cover AFAIK. I've had a quick look at Laya and cannot confirm this from their website. Perhaps if he were to give them a ring they may be able to clarify if a better policy is available and if there is a waiting period for cover for consultants etc. As I knew I was going to have a lot of consultants, G.P. and other costs this year I increased my cover to a contribution from VHI of 75% rather than the standard 50%. It did cost a few hundred extra but I did my sums and it was well worthwhile.

Don't forget that there have been a few increases over the past year so his policy may be more expensive besides this possible change in cover :) Also as this is the most important time for him to have the best cover at the best rate it might be worth his while to speak to Dermot Goode of www.totalhealthcover.ie There is a fee but it might well pay for itself in the long run.

As an aside, whatever part of the bills was not reimbursed by Laya - that can be submitted as part of tax claim for the year when due. If your father in law is paying any tax, would be entitled to 20% back in credits. You can get a statement from Laya at year end noting the amounts.

Back