Income Tax as a Retired Person

Echelle15

I retired over 3 years ago at the age of 62. I recently turned 66 so I am now in receipt of a Contributory pension also.
So my total income comes from the following 5 sources : Irish Occupational Pension, Irish Private pension, Irish Contributory pension, EU state pension and EU private pension. The majority (over 60%) of the “income” comes from the Irish Occupational and Contributory pensions.
When I consult the online Revenue site I see all the above income sources are referred to in some form or other but I’m not sure if all are being taken into account for tax purposes.
When I open the “Manage your Tax” section in the Revenue site I get the following.
Under “Your jobs and pensions” the Occupational Pension and the Irish private are listed with a fill breakdown of amounts( tax paid etc) in the “view” button.
Under “Current tax credits listed” it lists Age , Employee, Personal and PAYE Underpayment with a sum attributed to all.
Under “Your additional Income” it lists the State Pension Contributory and the two Foreign Pensions with a sum allocated to each ( The State Contrib. Pension is shown as approx. 50% of what I am actually receiving but as this is a new payment in the past 5 weeks or so ,maybe it will be adjusted.)
My question really concerns these additional incomes. Are they being taken into account for tax purposes or is this a separate declaration I have to make?
Many thanks, in advance, for any information.

The Irish State Pension is paid gross, without deduction of any tax. So you have two options in relation to this income:
- get your Inspector of Taxes to reduce your tax credits against your other taxable income ,or
- make a tax return at the end of each year, recognizing that you may owe tax on the State Pension.
I relation to the foreign Pensions, is tax being deducted at source (which would be taken into account for Irish tax) or are they paid gross?

Noting what @Conan says you should try the Revenue Helpline - they are often very helpful and put your mind at rest.
W

Many thanks Conan and Wizard. I think by posing the query the issues became clearer to me and I delved deeper into the Revenue site. I learned that I do not have to declare my Cont. Pension.( Presumably the information is transferred from one Gov. dept to the other relevant one). My foreign pensions are paid in full to me, for taxation in Ireland, where I live. I informed the Irish Revenue I was receiving these and the amount received appears on the Statement of Liability for 2019 along with all my other income sources at the time. My Cont. pension, first payment received in September this year, is also now appearing in an Amended Tax Cert for 2020, so all seems to be well. However, as suggested, I'll contact the Revenue Helpline.

However, as suggested, I'll contact the Revenue Helpline.

I would echo what WizardDr said - I had a somewhat similar query/doubt recently regarding the taxation of multiple income streams including state payments and contacted Revenue and the lady who took the call listened carefully to the details, asked a few questions and then explained the situation in detail. She couldn't have been any more patient or helpful. It was very reassuring.

Back