Including my French property in my will

davep

I have had a French house for over 7 years. No intention of selling but I recently made my Irish will and the solicitor did not know how it should be noted in my Irish will. What have any other people done? The house is in my wife and my names and we simply want to leave it to our 2 children.

This has come up a few times here before.

The prevailing wisdom has always concluded that its advisable to have a separate will for each jurisdiction.

If there are two wills, then both wills should refer to the existence of the other.Each will should clearly state that the will refers only to assets in "Ireland" or "France" as the case may be.

It is possible to have all the assets mentioned in one will. One big downside of this approach is that the original will can only go through probate in one country at a time and that can severely slow down the administration of the estate

The house is in my wife and my names and we simply want to leave it to our 2 children.

All sounds great, but you have to think about French inheritance laws. It might not be possible to disinherit your spouse.

I own property overseas, I took advice from a law firm in that country that resulted in my making a will that will stand in that country

Back