In the US for over 180 days

R

robertmullins

Hi,

I know a similar question has been asked before but a few colleague’s of mine swear that if you are being paid by an Irish company and in the USA working for the Irish company that you are entitles to a partial tax refund. I know that the Foreign Earning Deduction bill was abolished as of last year but my colleague’s say that this is only for 90 days. As long as you exceed 180 days you can still claim. Is this true?

Could somebody please clarify this issue once and for all?

I thought that FED was abolished completely as per this topic?

Perhaps more than 180 days abroad can change one's tax residency/domicile status in some or all cases?

[broken link removed]

Thanks for your reply but can anybody indicate what is the definite situation in regard to being out of the country for more than 180 days?

FED is available until 31 dec 2003.

Being out of the country > 183 days makes you non resident but only if in addition you were not present 240 days between that year and the previous tax year.

As a non resident but ordinary resident(resident for one of the previous 3 tax years) person you are still liable on worldwide income except for trade/profession no part of which is carried out in ireland. So even if you are non resident and spend 7 months working in us,if you work in the irish company for 2 months you are still liable to irish tax on all your uncome.

There is lots of leaflets on revenue site re residency.

Back