In my situation what would you do about 2 questions about pensions etc?

paddi22

My questions in general I suppose are

1. my pension - i asked my employer but our place is hectic and I have been waiting for ages to get it sorted. i'd prefer to sort it out myself as i'm not confident that my boss is good with this stuff (its a small place). Am i better off sorting it out with adviser? Can I still lodge money and get tax relief off it or does it have to be done through your place of work. How much should I put in as well?

2. my ssia money. is it wise to lock it up for 5 years in a unit linked fund, or realistically would I be better just lodging it in one of the higher interest deposit account knowing that I have to take it out after five years?

1. Does your employer contribute to the pension scheme?

2. Depends on your attitude to risk. If it's a unit linked fund you are not locked in for 5 years but your capital is at risk. If it a tracker bond with your capital guaranteed after 5 years, personally, I would not touch it.

Start at the end and work out how much you will definitely need. I assume that you are going to be saving over the next 5 years on a regular basis so factor that in to what will be required. You can then decide if you are in a position to take a punt on equity/property asset class with SSIA money.

cheers for the help. I dont think my boss will add to fund (they are somewhat tight here!)... ifg thats the case would i be better off just discussing it with adviser and going solo on it?

Is the boss so terrifying that you can't ask the question? Are you the only employee? It's important that you know.

Back