Importing Heating oil from Northern Ireland

hand_m

Does anyone know what the Tax/Legal implications are for bringing Kerosene or Diesel in from Northern Ireland for personal use.? Can you bring this type of oil in legally in 'gerry' cans or in a bowser type oil tank for personal use.?

That would be smuggling.

If you did it legally (paid the duty .etc.) it will cost more than it does down here.

That would be smuggling.

If you did it legally (paid the duty .etc.) it will cost more than it does down here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would it be smuggling.? As part of the EU are you not allowed a certain amount for persolal use, similar to other products like Wine etc.

It's perfectly legal, and is the reason tax was reduced in RoI on heating oil. My brother lives about a mile south of the border but buys his oil from a northern company.

I had this debate recently with work colleagues.

I live in Ireland but very near the border, and told them that bringing down home heating oil was smuggling. Many disagreed.

Apparently if you pay the duty in it in NI to the UK Exchequer, then it is quite legal to load it into a van and drive it into Ireland and put it into your oil tank.

But you must do it yourself for your own use. An oil distributor can't drive their truck down and put in 500litres for you. Thats not the same thing.

Correct. I can fill my car with (relatively) cheap diesel, hop on a ferry and drive around the UK and no-one can accuse me of smuggling but I cannot ask my pal to fill his van with jerry-cans of (cheapish) Irish diesel and bring them over to me on his next business trip.

Correct. I can fill my car with (relatively) cheap diesel, hop on a ferry and drive around the UK and no-one can accuse me of smuggling but I cannot ask my pal to fill his van with jerry-cans of (cheapish) Irish diesel and bring them over to me on his next business trip.

I suppose thats right.

After all, all those NI drivers who nipped over the border to RoI to fill their cars with cheap diesel weren't smuggling their fuel back into NI.

Same must apply to us if we buy NI home heating oil. We have bought it for our own use.

Apparently if you pay the duty in it in NI to the UK Exchequer, then it is quite legal to load it into a van and drive it into Ireland and put it into your oil tank.

But you must do it yourself for your own use.

I suppose thats right.

After all, all those NI drivers who nipped over the border to RoI to fill their cars with cheap diesel weren't smuggling their fuel back into NI.

Same must apply to us if we buy NI home heating oil. We have bought it for our own use.

This is news to me. Have things changed recently? In the last five years I know of people who were 'done' by customs - AFAIK (friend of a friend) they simply had a few drums for their own use.

I'd be interested in hearing something definitive on this.

Are you guys sure about this?

About 45c per L (NI) is about average these days I think.

So about 20% less maybe?

About 45c per L (NI) is about average these days I think.
seantheman said:
Kerosene 57c per ltr today in Donegal.
€570 vat inc. for 1000Ltr
27% saving then. Wish I was that little bit closer to the border....
Will they be adding the environmental duty too next month - or is that just us lot down south?

Inishowen today:

500lit = €300
1000li = €590

Could call your local Revenue office and ask them what the real truth is. Oh, thats right, they aren't answering phones.

Back