Implications for CRH shareholders of terminating the Dublin listing

I was not aware of this

Under EU rules, all shares in companies listed on European markets, including Dublin, will be held in the same way under what is called “dematerialisation” from the start of 2025. Paper certificates will no longer be valid proof of ownership after that date anyhow.

Most of my shares are with Davys in an online account.

While Davys is safe, I thought it would be a good idea to keep some shares in share certificates and CRH is my main holding.

There are other advantages:

I get the dividends directly.
There are no holding charges.

In whose interest, has the EU decided to get rid of paper share certs?

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Importantly, this doesn’t mean that you’re forced to use a broker or anything like that.

It just means faster ability to trade, less holding costs, less security risk, less ability for criminals or despots to hold assets outside of the financial system.

I don’t really see the downside for investors.

Gordon

it seems to be a trend companies delisting from Dublin, in this case Diageo also delisting from Dublin this year, C&C gone aswell a few years ago, DCC only listed in London now.
We are certainly not getting the Brexit bounce in this regard.
The reason given is that the trading volumes are too low now in Dublin so not worth keeping the Dublin listing but presumably Dublin was always a small market so why is there a big rush now to leave it?
I wonder is it because irish people have less shareholdings in irish companies than ever before, I don't know this though,
Maybe the irish taxation environment since the financial crash is dissuading irish people from investing in shares in general?
Will the dividend witholding tax be still automatically deducted like now if the shares are held in New York?

Last edited:
OK, do you have any links to this?

I would prefer to own all my shares in my own name - I don't mind if they are in share certs or dematerialised. But I would prefer to have my own name on the CRH share register rather than having them in an account with Davy's.

Brendan

OK, do you have any links to this?

I would prefer to own all my shares in my own name - I don't mind if they are in share certs or dematerialised. But I would prefer to have my own name on the CRH share register rather than having them in an account with Davy's.

Brendan
Yes, that’s exactly what will happen. I think there was an article on this recently. Let me see if I can find it…yep, there it is:

for CRH, you need to set up an online account with Signalshares who handle the share stuff. (Signalshares.com/login), using the investor number (IVR) from your paper share certificate.
then you can see all the holdings with the same IVR, see dividends paid, vote prior to AGMs etc.

not sure if they are in my own name, but I get the notifications and dividend notices in the post, same as before.

Haven’t used it yet, but there is an option in the portal for selling shares.

correction on earlier post - it’s the IVC number you need.

Last edited:
Back