Illegal to photocopy C2's?

Scrambler

Hi,

If a subcontractor wants to get a payments card with you as principal contractor he must produce the C2 in person to you and is prohibitted from using/sending a photocopy of the card.

Question - is it actually prohibbited to see the origianal C2 but to take a photocopy and keep it on file for reference purposes.

I can't see anywhere that it's not allowed.

Thanks

I would imagine that if you see the original C2 and the subcontractor has no objection to you copying it for your records, then it should be ok.

AFAIK the stipulation is that you must see the actual C2 card. If you chose to do more than this, I can't see anyone in revenue having any objections.

once you see the card and note that it is valid, why would you need a copy of it? the owner of the card should not permit you to take a copy either.

What is the problem with the Principal Contractor taking a copy of the C2 ???
I always thought it was common practice as it would act as "proof" to the Revenue that the card was presented.

It is technically illegal to photocopy a C2. Although I'm not a lawyer, I would suspect that this particular law became obsolete when the format of a C2 changed from a A4 paper page to a laminated, hologrammed card. I can't imagine the Revenue or anyone else being too bothered if a contractor insists on keeping a copy of a sub-contractor's C2. They have more to be worried about than minor cases of over-zealous application of their own rules.

Speaking from experience Revenue seem to be pretty particular when it come to the rules governing sub contractors.
I assume that the rule concerning the photocoping of C2 related to sub contractors presenting copies of C2's as originals, not Principal contractors keeping a record of the card.

Don't know offhand. Ring RCT division of any local Revenue office if you need a definitive answer on this.

Back