Illegal evictions on the news

Frank

Big headline stories on RTE news today about illegal evictions on tenants who had not paid ent for six months.

Landlord over reacts does something stupid like lock out then ends up with a massive fine and is down again.

I know someone who took a year to get control of a house with no rent to show.

Does the house owner have no rights?

I know there is a correct way to do things if this happens but it seems like non paying tenant is better protected.

I know this is a reapeat of similiar threads but seems relevant due to the way the media has blown this up.

i reckon the word 'Landlord' still unfairly has a stigma attached

Also in the news 9 repo orders granted in the Hight Court yesterday. Apparentely next weeks repo list is "very heavy".

yeah...bring back the good old days when the landlord could do whatever he liked to a tenant..and get away with it!

Why should a landlord not also be protected?

Why should a tenant be able to do what they like and get away with it?

the shoe was on the other foot for long enough!

Nothing personal, but this attitude always amuses me. What % of the current tenants 'suffered' under the old regime before PRTB? What % of current landlords mistreated tenants previously? Should the people who became landlords in the last 5 years be tarred with the same brush as someone from 20 years ago?

And even in the pre PRTB days you make it sound as if EVERY landlord was illegally evicting tenants every other day of the week.

Lets have a bit of perspective on this - there will always be problem tenants and problem landlords - neither should be seen as acceptable, and PRTB should be set up to act accordingly.

I rented for 12 years in the 1980s & 1990s and never considered myself as suffering. I always found the rent to be good value at the time, for the standard of accommodation. Granted there were many kips and dives on the market, but at least (generally) they were a cheaper option, and nobody was forced to live there.

Fwiw, I can never remember a landlord that treated me unfairly.

There is far too much ideological hostility in this country towards landlords and property ownership in general, imho.

i am just saying that up until quite recent times..tenants had little or no rights, now that they have rights landlords are whinging.

i am just saying that up until quite recent times..tenants had little or no rights, now that they have rights landlords are whinging.

Explain how the treatment of the first landlord in the original post is fair & balanced.

starlite68 - You're not making any fair or logical argument.

Even if tenants were treated unfairly the most they would lose is the deposit, and they would also have the inconvience of moving to other rental property. Obviously there can be other problems, but its not a situation you couldn't get out of, and just move one.

For a landlord this can be on going for months and months, with costs in many thousands and no way to quicky resolve the situation. In many cases its actually vastly cheaper to do an illegal eviction than go via the legal route. How does that help tenants or landlords?

Theres is an assumption that a landlord is wealthy and can afford losses. Thats isn't the case for a lot of landlords, especially in recent years. Its effectively theft, so I don't know how you can justify that.

Explain how the treatment of the first landlord in the original post is fair & balanced.

To put it in context, the news items yesterday was there has been a rise in illegal evictions, not that there has been a rise in LL's illegally evicting tenants who had not paid rent. As we all know there is legal recourse for LL's in the event of non payment of rent and other issues, my understanding is that it was not the sole reason for illegal action taken by these LL's.

starlite68 - You're not making any fair or logical argument.

Even if tenants were treated unfairly the most they would lose is the deposit, and they would also have the inconvience of moving to other rental property. Obviously there can be other problems, but its not a situation you couldn't get out of, and just move one.

is that all..you make it sound so simple....maybe you should ask people that have had to move at short notice how easy it really is!

is that all..you make it sound so simple....maybe you should ask people that have had to move at short notice how easy it really is!

Well if they haven't paid their rent in 6 months they should have a fair idea that eviction is the next step.

To put it in context, the news items yesterday was there has been a rise in illegal evictions, not that there has been a rise in LL's illegally evicting tenants who had not paid rent. As we all know there is legal recourse for LL's in the event of non payment of rent and other issues, my understanding is that it was not the sole reason for illegal action taken by these LL's.

A rise in so called 'illegal' evictions because of PRTBs interference/existence maybe - who determines what is 'illegal' in this instance? And what is classed as 'illegal' - that the landlord forgot to put a specific piece of text on the eviction notice or mis-spelt the tenants name?

Should non payment of rent not be illegal? (not the absence of quotes)

As for the 'legal recourse' in the event of non payment - it isn't working and is firmly in the favour of the tenant.

at lot of difficulties in the past as well and why protection was needed was that whilst landlords considered the properties their houses, the tenants considered them as their home and often landlords failed to recognise this

Back