I want to timer record from radio to tape or CD

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have an old Sony mini system which allows me to record a radio programme while I am out. I can record to tape or to mini-disk, both of which have fallen out of use.

Sony says that there is no way of doing this anymore, as there is no demand for it.

I have googled it and found nothing.

It was very simple and straightforward.

Now if there is a podcast of the programme, I could download the podcast, but I don't want to play it on my pc. I find the simplicity of the mini system much more straightforward. And many programmes are not available on podcasts anyway.

It would be nice to be able to record straight from the radio to a PC. I have an archive of tapes and mini-disks which will probably become obsolete.

Brendan

I see Peats have a few [broken link removed]which look as if they have this feature and I have found something called "The Bug" on the [broken link removed]

There is a freeware called 'audiograbber' which allows you to record any outside signal or straight from radio on the pc- then to usb key then to mp3 or burn on cd?

thanks Vanilla

There is a microsystem from Pure called the Legato which seems perfect for my needs.

I can set it to record a few different programmes at the one time, just like a DVD recorder. So it will be one machine, no copying or burning or hi-tec stuff.

Brendan

You can get radio cars for the PC that have this feature. You have to leave the PC on though. If the current system is working why change it. You can use a HiMD - RH1 to upload to PC f you really want. Alternatively you can just stick with cheap 2nd hand MD units.

It has been very difficult to find a supplier of the Pure Legato system in Ireland. UK companies wouldn't ship to Ireland. The manufacturer said that they don't make it any more. The Irish distributor told me that they have them in stock and gave me the name of some retailers, but they weren't very helpful or willing to order it for me.

Eventuall I found it through Google on [broken link removed] and they were very helpful. They said that with a bit of luck, it will be delivered the day after I order it.

During my research I came across this interesting machine in Peats. It allows you to convert your vinyl to CD. It didn't have a timer, so it was not suitable for my purposes.

[broken link removed]

I meant to say earlier you can get PC addin Cards which can do timed recordings, either from the internet stations or FM. Theres probably USB ones. I've never used on but maybe thats a line of enquiry for you.

All you need to convert vinyl to CD is a lead from your HiFi to your PC. Then a free app like CDWAVE.

During my research I came across this interesting machine in Peats. It allows you to convert your vinyl to CD. It didn't have a timer, so it was not suitable for my purposes.

[broken link removed]

Money for old rope tbh.

Can't you use a PC and something like Audacity to do ?

It depends on how long I want to spend fiddling with pcs and computers. The other machine is a press button one which would suit those of us who lack the pc skills.

It is a standalone sound system as well for those who are buying a sound system.

Brendan

A lot of the people who use MiniDisc and HiMD would say that being able to not use a PC is a key advantage of it. While I can see why technophobes would think like this. For me its much easier and intuitive to do it on a PC. If you can get past that its a computer, its just far easier. On the MiniDisc.Org forums, you'll find that even the die hard MD fans are slowly realising this aswell. If you have a look at something like CDWAV you'll see its a very simple application.

I would assume, that audio quality wouldn't be that good on one of these all in one systems. Most likely the old HiFi you have is much better. You might ask on HeadFi. Theres bound to be someone there that does this. Some MP3 Portable Players can do this aswell. Which ones, I have no idea.

Hi Airco

The system appeared great at first, but...

It does not have an FM aerial of the type which I can record from cable. As the main programmes I want to record are BBC Radio 4, it has to go back.

The actual machine is faulty as well, in that the volume control doesn't function properly. Some of the time it does function, but most of the time there is no volume control i.e. it stays at a set volume. Other times, there is no volume at all.

After extensive searching, it seems that the JVC DM9DB does everything I want. I will visit Peats tomorrow and check it out.

Brendan

Have a look at the Archos range of portable media recorder/players. Not cheap, but you can place it in a docking station with the audio coming from your HiFi and set a timed recording. Then take it away with you. (It'll record video too if you want).

I already suggested this to Brendan in person but perhaps a 3-in-1 WiFi internet, DAB and FM radio with record capability might do the trick? The new Argos catalog has a few but I don't think any have record capability. There may be others available from other retailers (e.g. Maplin, Peats etc.) or online. Of course internet streaming, podcasts and the likes of the BBC's "Listen Again" service might obviate the need for recording in some (many?) cases. I'm not sure about specific makes/models that might suit but I presume that a bit of searching should clarify. I'm still curious about trying out "internet radio" myself and am tempted by . Must check out any reviews available online.

perhaps a 3-in-1 WiFi internet, DAB and FM radio with record capability might do the trick?
I'm presuming he needs to use an external aerial or UPC to get Radio4, that limits him to FM and not many (if any) of the portables accept an external aerial feed. I've three DAB units and two have bugs of one kid or another.

Unlike other MP3s that can record radio which record in WAV, the Archos can record straight to MPEG4 and is quite efficient.

Another approach, but quite fiddly, is to have a satellite tuner card in a PC and capture direct from Radio4 on Astra 28.2. Main problem with that is that the files are the original MPEG TS stream, this plays back perfectly on the PC but most portables don't know what to do with them.

Back